I Think My Pet May Have Eaten Poison. What Should I Do?
It’s time to call the experts at the national ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435).
When an elephant accidentally mistakes a gallon of paint for a bucket of water, or a cat decides to try a taste of that new lily you brought home, it’s time to call the experts at the national ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, Ill. With a staff of over 30 veterinarians and 13 board certified toxicologists, they run the only animal-dedicated non-profit poison control hotline in North America. Whether a dog decides to try a Sago palm nut or a poisonous box of raisins, there is a veterinarian at the center 24-hours-a-day, waiting to answer a call from a frantic pet owner. In 2007 the hotline received over 130,000 calls.
NB: I advise my clients to induce vomiting immediately if they are absolutely sure that the potential poison is not caustic, e.g. if it is a veterinary or human drug. Undiluted hydrogen peroxide will bubble up in your pet’s stomach and cause them to vomit. It is also best to call your local emergency clinic or poison control at the same time.–Dr. Jeff