Logo

drjeff1

Young cat with chronic renal failure (CRF)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: My 3 1/2 yr old cat was diagnosed 11 days ago with CRF. His initial blood work was 263/24 BUN/Creatinine with high phosphorous. After IV of 4 days he was at 164/12.8 with phosphorous at high normal. When we brought him home we were giving him 3 X 300 ml Sub-Q injections for 3 days then 3 X 200 ml for 3 more days. The morning of the 7th day he was found to have fluid in his lungs as he was having very difficult breathing and profusely drooling mucous. He spent about 35 hours in an O2 cage after receiving a diuretic and an antibiotic. The cause of the fluid (pulmonary endema is what the Vet believes) is believed to be too much Sub-Q fluid. The Vet does not feel he can do anything more for him so we brought him home. He is extremely weak and is laboring in his breathing such that he is breathing about twice as hard as normal. I have been recommended by the Vet to Sub-Q 3 X 80 or 100 ml per day, K/D puree diet (30 cc per day) supplemented with Tumil-K and Phoslo! . He gets Pepsid twice a day, Clavamox (1 cc) twice a day, and two tablets of Aminophylline a day.

I would like to know what your recommendation would be for fluid intake, options for antibiotics, and any homeopathic remedies.

Anxiously awaiting your reply as Perry is quite sick.

Thank you,

Todd

Sex: Male Neutered

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

It is very unusual to diagnose chronic renal failure in a young cat with such high values. Although it is academic at this time, I suspect that your cat suffered a bout of acute renal failure possibly related to toxic ingestion (antifreeze?) or some other factor which I can’t ascertain from your brief history. Alternatively, if your cat is purebred, I would be suspicious of a congenital renal disease.

Am I reading your message correctly to say that you were giving 300ml three times a day when you brought him home? It is very unusual to get pulmonary edema from fluids administered subcutaneously, but if that amount is correct, it certainly is possible. Had heart disease been ruled out as a cause for the renal failure (secondary to low blood flow to the kidneys)?

If it has not been done already, I would consider a renal and cardiac ultrasound, and other appropriate diagnostic tests.

If kidney disease is indeed the only ailment your young cat has, then he would also be an excellent candidate for a kidney transplant).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!