Logo

drjeff1

Wobbler’s Syndrome

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

At a routine visit this week for vaccinations my vet (first visit) mentioned my 8 1/2yo Doberman likely has Wobbler’s Syndrome. It isn’t severe, he still plays and runs. However, it is noticeably progressing over the last few years. I am interested in opinions regarding changing to a specific food, can I use a ‘home-made’ neck brace. Do I need X-rays? Should I check a TSH level. What about NSAIDs and steroids?
    Any advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance
    -d

Anonymous

Just a short addendum to my own post:
    I bought my dog a harness, no more neck collars!
    I also thought I would cut down on the protein in his food. He’s on prozyme supplement for a suspected pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, so not quite sure how to adequately tweak his nutrition.
    Also, I read about possible acupuncture/chiropractic treatments for this. I did not get x-rays and so am not sure if this is like a spondylolisthesis/cervical stenosis.
    Still, I would welcome any opinions/advice.
    Thanks,
    D

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=dee] so not quite sure how to adequately tweak his nutrition.
    Also, I read about possible acupuncture/chiropractic treatments for this. [/quote]

Hi Dee-

As I’m sure you know, “Wobbler’s Disease” is very common in this breed. It has indeed been associated with hypothyroidism, so a free t4 and TSH would be a good idea (along with a general screen including a complete blood count, biochemical profile and urinalysis).

There is very effective early management of this “dis-ease” using nutritional (including some supplementation like grape seed extract, trace minerals, fish oils, etc.) management and homeopathy. Chiropractic and acupuncture can help as well but tend to be more palliative.

As the cervical instabilty of Wobbler’s is usually a manifestation of a chronic energetic imbalance (another manifestation of which is the digestive enzyme or thyroid hormone deficiencies) I find that homeopathic management is most effective (by far).

Chiropractic care, homeopathy and good nutrition all go hand in hand. You should first consult a trained homeopathic vet so you can start [i]preventing[/i] problems that will crop up later in life.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!