Logo

drjeff1

Where do I put the crate?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi all,

I just picked up my 8 week old American Staffordshire Terrier Monday and the sleeping has not been great. Understandable my girl is still a puppy I was wondering where I should put the crate? I have it in my spare bedroom opposite my bedroom, so I can hear her at night but the crying is non stop. She loves it during the day time while she naps though. I would love to move it back and forth but it’s just too big to get through the doorway! (yes i do have a seperater in there for her.) Any thoughts or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Let me tell ya she is a really smart girl so far. 🙂

Thank you!!

Anonymous

CONGRATS on your new pup. Certainly an exciting time !!

I tethered my pup next to my bed for the first 4 nights so I could reach down with a reassuring pat and say very briefly “be quiet, go to sleep”. I lucked out not even having to do that. The first night he whimpered for 20 minutes, the second night 10 and the third night quieted down in just a few mintues. The book had said to hold off on the ‘be quiet, go to sleep” as long as possible. Let me tell ya, that 20 and 10 minutes were lifetimes LOL

So then I moved him about 4 feet away from my bed, still tethered. He did fine. I can’t remember how long it was before I finally put him into the crate figuring I was in for a few sleepless nights but he settled the very first night, granted, the crate was still in my bedroom. So I don’t know how it will work with the crate in the next room but she might just be ready for it after a few nights next to you.

I wish I could remember the book that gave me this routine. I read so many as this is my first pup. He was 2 days shy of 9 weeks when I adopted him.

I hope this helps and enjoy this time, it does pass quickly…really!!!

Anna

Anonymous

well this certainly helps some…She is great in the crate all other times other then bedtime, but ya know it’s only really been ONE REAL night. So I am hoping tonight she will settle down some. I have to remember she is just a pup away from her other siblings this past night. Yea, those few minutes of whimpering can feel like hours! She just loves HER area but when it comes to having her by herself she is a bit weary…Thanks for the reply!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Butafli593]Any thoughts or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Since she already likes her crate, and you want her to keep using it, try getting a smaller crate that you can put next to your bed. I agree with Anna that a “reassuring pat” will calm down most pups. Remember, before you adopted her she had been sleeping cuddled up with her siblings.

In a few weeks you can start gradually moving the crate away from your bed and to a more appropriate location.

Good luck and have fun.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I have both my dogs in their crates in our bedroom. When it was a new thing and they whimpered or made noise, I just told them no and they settled right down. If not, I’d say no and ignore them. It didn’t last but a few nights. I really think they like being in the bedroom with us, it’s like their den. Just my two cents.

Cathy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!