Logo

drjeff1

When to get a companion

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello,

My name is Lenora. I am new to the group and looking for advise. My husband and I had two dashounds, Sammy (passed away May of 2006 at 15 years) and Suzie Q who is 14 years of age. We had Sammy for one year before getting Suzie Q. Sammy and Suzie have been together since Suzie was 6 weeks. They slept together, played together, and loved each other very much. When on was away, the other was very sad.

When Sammy died, Suzie was getting some what ill. Since, she has developed a tumor (breast Cancer) which the doctor will not operate since she has a very bad heart. And now she is blind. Please do think we do not take care of her because we really do. It has been very hard on us. The doctore said that if he put her under to do the surgery, she would not make it. However, it has bee almost a year since her cancer was noticed. She was not excepted to make it this long.

Due to an infection in her eyes, she has gone blind. She get along great. She has learned her way around the house very well.

Our main concern at this time is she is lonely. We are both home all day. She get a lot of attention. She is very spoiled. But at this time she want more. She walks around the house, doing nothing but walking. She has to be under our feet, or touching us. We were thinking that it could be the right time to get a puppy but just not sure. Would it be to much for her. Would she be bothered by the high energy of a new puppy? We just don’t know. If any one could give us some help or advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=littlemisssuzieq]We were thinking that it could be the right time to get a puppy but just not sure. Would it be to much for her. Would she be bothered by the high energy of a new puppy? [/quote]

Yes, I agree that a new puppy would be too much for her at this time. You could however adopt a wonderful older (and less active) dog through your local shelter or Dachshund rescue [url]http://www.drna.org/[/url]

Good luck.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Its definitely a good idea to wait awhile before getting a pet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!