Logo

drjeff1

What’s happened to my Basset?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We had our 13 month old Basset neutered three weeks ago and his
    behaviour has changed. I thought neutering was suppose to make
    them less aggressive. Up until now our Basset never showed any
    signs of aggression but since he’s been neutered he’s not been very
    nice. We visited some friends lately and he went after both of their
    dogs. (Two different dogs on two different occasions). They were
    male dogs and much bigger than him. Before he was neutered he
    would just cower when he was around other dogs. And he’s also been very nasty towards his new three month old sister. He’s bit her quite hard on more than one occasion to the point that she’s really let out a yelp. Is there something hormonal going on here or does it have something to do with his adjusting to his new sister? The little one is starting to show signs of being afraid of him and I really want them to
    get along well. Do you have any ideas as to what is causing this or any suggestions as to how to correct the problem? Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff will be best suited to talk about the medical aspects of how long it takes for some behaviors to change but as a dog trainer I have never seen neutering change much behavior in the long run. It may take more time for the hormones to get balanced out. 3 weeks may not be long enough. Now if your dog would have been neutered at 5 or 6 months old this may have helped more but that is no guarantee either. It would have been nice to know just how your dog would have acted with your 2 friends dog before the neutering. I am sure the neutering had nothing to do with what you saw on those two meetings. Neutering is never a guarantee of better behavior. I suspect what you are seeing is typical coming into adulthood Basset behavior. Obedience behavior training along with proper on leash socialization to other dogs is the answer to a well socialized and trained dog.

As for the puppy, if she tries to establish any dominance or “test the waters” with him HE will tell her in short order she is NOT going to be in charge. Typical adult male behavior to me. Most hounds are pretty head strong, stuborn, will full at times. It comes with the territory of owning a hound. Monitor your two when together and seperate in crates when necessary. Train seperately, and praise only good behavior you are looking for.
    Training isn’t expensive…. IT”S PRICELESS!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!