Logo

drjeff1

What food should I feed my diabetic dog?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: Susie has been diabetic for 3 yrs & is doing well over-all,with insulin 2/day.
    She’s been on Science Diet w/d,but all I read on Wellpet & elsewhere makes me
    want to change her to a natural diet as
    I’m doing with our others.At this time,
    I’m not ready to do a totally raw diet & would prefer to feed a natural dry with
    extras.What diet do you recommend for
    diabetic dogs.
    Thanks for your help. Pat Smart

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Irish Setters

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Diet is indeed extremely impportant for the diabetic, and any change you make will likely effect her insulin requirements. I agree that w/d is not the highest quality commercial food you could be feeding, but because of the necessity of keeping the diet consistent, I would not try to switch to home-cooking. I would gradually try switching to a higher quality dry food such as that made by Wysong, and eventually add in fresh vegetables for additional nutrients. I also use a dietary suplement for Diabetics called Glucuril from Phytopharmica which contains chromium, bitter melon extract and other ingredients important for glucose metabolism.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!