Logo

drjeff1

What can I do about my dog eating cat poop?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: We have two outside cats, we aquired one when we got our puppy. They have grown up together. The problem is that the puppy follows the cat around everywhere. When the cat leaves droppings the dog tries to eat it. We have tried putting the dog in her pen for long periods of time thinking that she would get over this nasty habit but it hasn’t worked. Is there anything we can do to break this problem? This dog always has a full bowl of food at her feeding place. We really don’t know what to do!!!

Sex: Female

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Golden Retreiver

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, this is a very difficult problem to eradicate. Cat stool is very tasty to dogs. The only way to stop this behavior, is to somehow prevent access to the source. Does your cat use a box in the house, or go to the bathroom outside? If he uses a litter box, then you need to put the box in an area where the pup has no access. I use a bathroom with a chain on the inside of the door, so that it opens wide enough for my cats to get in, but not my dogs. They still will often sit by the door and salivate. Nasty habit, but not unusual or dangerous.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!