Logo

drjeff1

Vet says PARVO, please help.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My Shih Tzu puppy, Nellie (born 4/18/2005) was playful as ever yesterday. She seemed to have trouble defecating yesterday afternoon. It was her first case of diarrhea. I shot a wedding last night and when I came home and took Nellie outside, she did her business as normal, just urinated and turned to me as always and walked back ready to go inside. Her routine is to always go inside and go directly to her kennel…….this is where she always gets her treat……….last night when I gave her the treat, she held it in her mouth for a second and dropped it to the floor. She had never done that, and I realized something was wrong. I finally got her to eat her food (normally she eats dry food…..last night I had to soak it in warm water), but when we went back outside she had diarrhea with blood and mucous in it. I sat with her wondering what it was until we both was so tired and opted for bed and the Vet this morning. I took her to the vet, told her the story and she QUICKLY says it looks like a classic case of Parvo. Nellie had been vaccinated, and has been the ONLY dog in our yard and home. She did spend a day at the Vet’s office for Grooming on Wednesday. I’ve found this GREAT forum and wanted to post a few questions to help me cope with this diagnosis.
    The vet did recommend keeping my puppy and treating her with an IV of antibiotics. So Nellie is at the Vet’s office now.
    My questions:
    1) What are the chances my puppy will overcome this virus?…I realize that there is not a cure.
    2) I know parvo can be brought in several ways, but could she have gotten it from the day at the groomers?
    3) If she does live, is it true that she will likely have a “sickly” life? I’ve read that this could be the case.
    4) Do I need to do any “clean up” of the yard or her areas to help prevent a reinfection if she comes home? I’ve heard that bleach and water should kill the virus?????

Thank you in advance for any answers you can give.

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff will have some holistic answers for you but my opinions are…

Your vet should be able to tell if your dog has parvo very quickly. In many cases it is treatable.

One thing for sure I would NEVER groom a dog in a Vet clinic. YES it could have gotten it there. No way to prove it though. Just find a groomer where healthy dogs go to be groomed.

I am sure your dog will be fine and will fully recover from this, what ever it is. I have known pups younger live through Parvo to be healthy adults all their life. I don’t think you should worry.

For future… when your dog doesn’t want to eat, don’t force it with mixing other things in her food. Your gut told you something was wrong, just get to the vet and write down all the symptoms as you see them. That will help the vet trouble shoot the problem faster.

Anonymous

Mike,
    Thanks for the answers and encouragement. I look forward to hearing from Dr. Jeff. I went to the Vet’s office this afternoon and she said the Parvo test was negative, but she still suspects Parvo???????? Does this happen? She said the puppy was, in her words, “Bouncing off the walls”, “Ate some food”, “drank some water”………….I’ve been reading that 80% are better if caught early………..I pray this puppy is in the 80%. Never before has a puppy grown on me and my wife like little Nellie has.
    I appreciate any and all answers or suggestions. If you pray, remember Nellie in your prayers.
    Thanks

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=stuknbama]
    My questions:
    1) What are the chances my puppy will overcome this virus?…I realize that there is not a cure.
    2) I know parvo can be brought in several ways, but could she have gotten it from the day at the groomers?
    3) If she does live, is it true that she will likely have a “sickly” life? I’ve read that this could be the case.
    4) Do I need to do any “clean up” of the yard or her areas to help prevent a reinfection if she comes home? I’ve heard that bleach and water should kill the virus?????[/quote]

Good morning-

Perhaps I missed something when I read your message but I don’t remember any symptoms except a slight decrease in appetite and one stoool with mucus and blood. Was there anything else that the vet found to indicate Parvo? Fever? Low white blood cell count?

Anyway, to answer your specific questions:

1-A dog that *truly* has Parvo and that has a strong immune system (not overvaccinated) usually recovers fully from Parvo with early supportive care such as the intravenous fluids which your vet is administering.

2-Yes. She can acquire this or any other virus by being anywhere that there are sick dogs.

3-Your pup will hopefully recover fully and have a totally normal life. Occasionally this illness is the first clue that a dog has an internal imbalance focused on the gastrointestinal tract. These dogs can have chronic problems like colitis, vomiting, etc. When treated early with homeopathy these dogs usually respond very well.

4-Yes, a bleach solution will kill the virus (1 part bleach to 30 parts water). Take a look at this nice article [url]http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=579&SourceID=42[/url]
    for more decontamination tips.

Please let us know what happens with your pup.

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Nellie did have a fever and the white blood cell count was off. I’m new to the homeopathy and welcome any advice you might have. We have not heard from the Vet today and probably won’t until tomorrow since it’s Sunday. They said they would not call unless the condition worsened, so I’m hoping things work out and Nellie has a healthy recovery. We are also new to this area and picked this Vet based on the recommendations of neighbors, as well as, co-workers. They have a groomer area in the adjacent “storefront”.
    What is the best way to pick a groomer for our pet? The day we took Nellie, there were several pets, all looking happy and healthy. I’m not sure that Nellie contracted the “sickness” from the groomer’s place that day. The reason I say this is that I’ve read it takes 7-10 days for a puppy to show signs after exposure. Nelly went to the groomer on Wednesday, she was sick Friday night.
    I appreciate the quick responses by you and by Mike and most of all the encouragement. Nellie has helped fill a void left by the passing of my wife’s Father and in that short time, she has become the baby that we’ve never had. Those things always sounded silly when I would hear people saying them, but NOW I know what people mean when they say they would be lost without their pet. Thanks again and I will update on her condition when we know something.

Anonymous

It’s Monday, I picked Nellie up this morning around 8AM. The Vet said she was doing good and from the way her tail was wagging, I’d say she was ready to come home. The Vet assured me that the parvo test was negative and says it was probably something she found and ate or something viral. I was hoping for a definate answer, but as long as she is healthy, and happy……….so am I. I do appreciate the quick answers and I’m glad I’ve found this forum, as before, I welcome any hints, tips, and advice. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=stuknbama]I picked Nellie up this morning around 8AM. The Vet said she was doing good and from the way her tail was wagging, I’d say she was ready to come home. [/quote]

That’s great!! Keep her on a bland diet for now and then let’s work on getting her onto a more fresh food-based diet. The healthier she is overall, the less likely will be further gastrointestinal problems.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!