Logo

drjeff1

very constipated little girl

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

hi there my 6 month old chihuahua is very constipated, this is day 3 and only a pea size very compacted poo has come out,we can see it in her rear end, its stuck there, shes hardly eating and drinking, she seems to be alright despite not being herself, i mean she still seems fairy chipper, not lethargic or dehydrated, we have just recently had a diet change for her,, when we got her from the breeder.. she was on pedigree healthy start, we bought eagle puppy and mixed it half and half, shes been fine but last week that ran out and we just fed her eagle puppy, perhaps this is the problem, its a possiblity as well that she got ahold of a bone from ribs, anyhow if anyone has any suggestion id appreciate it,, she would already be at a vet if we werent so broke and we certainly will borrow money if we have to but we are hoping this rides itself out,, thank you for your time

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=canadianchicklet] only a pea size very compacted poo has come out,we can see it in her rear end, its stuck there,

shes hardly eating and drinking, she seems to be alright despite not being herself,

we just fed her eagle puppy, perhaps this is the problem, its a possiblity as well that she got ahold of a bone from ribs, [/quote]

Firstly, if you can see the stool that is stuck you should gently pull it out (which is exactly what the vet would do before performing a rectal examination to make sure that nothing else is obstructing her lower colon).

The diet change you mentioned [i]shouldn’t[/i] cause a problem though a piece of a cooked rib bone certainly could (never feed [b]cooked[/b] bones).

If she’s hardly eating you may want to tempt her with some fresh white meat chicken or some meat-based human baby food to increase her intestinal motility. Small amounts of prune juice (dropper it right in her mouth) will also help.

If she continues to not eat or drink you really need to get her to a vet. Bring a stool sample when you go so that they can also check for intestinal parasites which could be contributing to her problem.

Good luck.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!