Logo

drjeff1

Vaccinations

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am new to this so bear with me….I am not sure that I have registered correctly and I just sent a question in probably to the wrong area. It responded that it was sent to the webmaster. So I will rewrite my question and send it here. I have a shitzu 1.5 years in age. I decided that this time around I was going to raise this little guy as naturally as possible. I did extensive research on a dog’s diet and vaccinations. I chose to feed him the raw food diet with ground up veggies. He is doing wonderful on this!!! Absolutely great. As for the vaccinations, I personally do not believe in vaccinations for people or pets. I had my pet’s titers drawn just so that i could see where he stood with regard to the one’s he received from the breeder and if he had too much of one in him then I would have to find a rememdy to counteract it. It was discovered that he was low for distemper. My question to you is how do you feel about vaccinations in general but specifically distemper. I have not found anything to support the giving of this in any of the literature I have read. My dog is a stay at home dog and he does not go to kennels nor hang around with other dogs. Just his brother which my sister purchased when I got this one. Thanks

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Jackie Wanagat]My question to you is how do you feel about vaccinations in general but specifically distemper.
    My dog is a stay at home dog and he does not go to kennels nor hang around with other dogs. Just his brother which my sister purchased when I got this one. Thanks[/quote]

Welcome to the HomeVet forum Jackie-

I think the beginning posts in this folder give a clear picture of my views on vaccination.

A low Distemper titer is not unusual and does not necessarily correlate with poor immunity to the Distemper virus ( it is very difficult to quantitate immune competence and titers only measure one fraction of immune function).

In your dog’s case I don’t see much risk of exposure, so where’s the benefit of vaccination…?

Dr. Jeff

BTW-read the great book “Scared Poopless” [url]http://www.dogs4dogs.com/[/url] to get more info on making informed vaccination (and other) decisions.

Anonymous

My friend, Vaccinations have saved many pets’ lives over the years, but they aren’t without risk. Now, with new research showing that immunity may last longer than once thought, veterinary experts say it’s safer to decrease the frequency of most shots that typically have been given every year. Side effects from vaccinations range from mild itching and swelling to anaphylactic shock leading to death. Cats may develop vaccine sarcomas, which are cancers that develop at the site of the injection. And dogs may develop certain autoimmune diseases.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Vaccination Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!