Logo

drjeff1

Treatment for Cat with Kidney Insufficiency

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My 15 yr old male cat has had ‘kidney insufficiency’ for about 2 years. His homeopathic veterinarian has had him on herbs and his condition has remained constant until a month ago. He began drinking excessively (rather than just above ‘normal’) and his coat looked dry. His conventional vet did blood and urine tests and found that his counts had increased slightly outside of the ‘high-normal’ range. He also had an infection which is currently being treated with antiobiotics. His coat looks better and the drinking is already decreased. However, I have consulted both the conventional vet and the homeopatic vet about his diet and they differ completely on what his diet should be. The conventional vet recommends Hill’s Science Diet with reduced protein. His Homeopathic vet strongly advises against a restricted protein diet which she says is a cause of muscle wasting and may cause him more problems. She recommends the same high quality diet (canned Innova/Wellness/California Natural) that he is currently getting AND adding Salmon, sardines, etc. i addition to continuing his herbs.
    What would you recommend?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Teri]
    What would you recommend?[/quote]

Without knowing your cat’s full case it is impossible to specifically say. In general I have my clients feed high quality protein (such as in fresh food and not commercial, processed foods) at every stage of life. This usually includes renal insufficiency.

The recent studies on protein restriction differe considerably from what I was taught in vet school over 20 years ago. Renal failure cats usually die from malnutrition rather than protein excess.

Dr. Jeff

BTW-I think you are confusing holistic with homeopathic. Herbal therapy is NOT homeopathy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!