Logo

drjeff1

Training a dog to ring a bell?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Hi,

I was reading in another post about teaching a dog to ring a bell to let you know when he has to go outside. That sounds like a fantastic idea, but can someone please tell me how to train a dog to do this??

My puppy is 14 weeks old and he is at the stage where he knows he should be eliminating outside and will run to the back door to do his business. This is great when I see him go charging to the back door however, he will only wait a short time for me to get him out the door. If he doesn’t see me coming to let him out, he will find a room of his liking & relieve himself. 🙄
    This sounds like the ideal solution for me!!! Can someone please tell me how to teach him to do this???

Anonymous

Hi Guest,

This training question was covered by the members of
    the oes.org (old english sheepdog forum)

Here’s the link to start you off!!

Good luck and congratulations on your puppy! 😀

[url]http://forum.oes.org/viewtopic.php?t=3194[/url]

Anonymous

Thanks so much for the link!!!
    I had took his paws & hit the bells with it the first couple of times before you had responded. He acted like he was afraid of them. After I read that link, I have been ringing the bell. He looks confused, but at least he’s not scared and running the other way like before. Hopefully in time, he will catch on & ring it himself!!!
    Thanks again!!

Anonymous

Great !

Sounds like he’s making progress 8)

Here’s another resource for you,it has a nice training section…

Please keep us updated !

[url]www.poochie-bells.com[/url]

Anonymous

This bell ringing thing just does not seem to be working. 😥
    The past two nights, I had to attempt to get pee out of the carpet. 👿
    Everytime I let him out, I ring the bell and he doesn’t have the slightest interest in imitating me. I ask him if he wants to go outside and he goes right up to the door, but the most he has done is sniff the bells. Sometimes it seems like he’s almost afraid of them, because when I go to ring them, he backs away. My older dog has no interest in them whatsoever. He’s [i]never [/i]touched or sniffed at them and couldn’t care less about them. Him I don’t care about as much because he is able to hold it untill he can go outside.
    About how long does it take for a dog to catch on and ring the bells himself?? Worse case senario – is it possible he will [i]never [/i]catch on and ring the bells himself??
    ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

Anonymous

Before everything you have to make her understand what you are telling…. I remember how difficult it was to find valuable dog training information, how frustrated I was every time I applied the latest techniques to train my dog, without major success. Often I had to retrain her over and over again. It took me a lot of trial and error, but I finally learned all the best dog training techniques, and I applied them to my dog one by one with great success.

Anonymous

we did the cow bell trick for outside, dog does it but has become a nuisance now, we sit down to eat he rings the bell over and over. At first we took him out every time and back in and sometimes stay out and play but after the 1st or 2nd time he just wants to play? Now we just open dooor after 2 times and say go outside and of course he will sometimes but is right back at the door to come in?

what to do?
    take bell down after we know he has gone potty?
    walk him every time? we need to have our time and eat as a family

let me know any ideas or what you have done to combat this?

JM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!