Logo

drjeff1

tracheal coughing – tracheal collaps

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

🙁 I have an aging pom ,whom Ive spent thousands on with surguries and arthritis meds, she now has a collaps trachea , what cough suppressants are safe for a small breed dog ,I truthfully dont want to spend another thousand on a surgury she may not make it through,I want to make her as comfortable as possible for the days left, any suggestions,

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Mrs_Kozma]:what cough suppressants are safe for a small breed dog ,[/quote]

Robitussin DM (or similar as long as it contains dextromethorphan) is safe at the pediatric dose.

Mild sedation is the primary side-effect though it makes some dogs (and people) nauseus.

Anonymous

I was told by vets here that robitussin was toxic to dogs, even in a small dose ,Isnt there something that would work that is ALL natural.??
    😯

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Mrs_Kozma]Isnt there something that would work that is ALL natural.??
    [/quote]

You asked about [b]suppressing[/b] the cough. All natural products are designed to work with the body and not suppress it. For palliation of tracheal cough I use a mixture of throat coat tea and honey.

BTW-I have never hear of Robitussin DM toxicity. Can you provide a reference?

Anonymous

is here in your own site under 21 symtoms not to ignor , look under coughing and home remedies . it states clearly that you shouldnt use robitussin , is your site not acurate?
    I did take my pom to the vet , she has a narrowing trachea and also an enlarged heart, she is now on medication that is working well, and she is doing better . but the confusion on the robitussin has me a bit baffeled
    I am using a new vet , being that we’re new to this area. and this vet doesnt recommend using any home remedies without first knowing what the cause truely is ,and says always chesk first with a vet before starting any home therapy, but has no knowledge of robitussins affect on dogs, but says she doesnt recommend it. so my information on toxicity came from this site. thank you Mrs_Kozma

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Mrs_Kozma] it states clearly that you shouldnt use robitussin ,

so my information on toxicity came from this site.[/quote]

What the article says is that you should never ignore persistent coughing. There are several drugs that are mentioned as [b]potentially [/b]harmful (mainly Tylenol and Aspirin) as can any drug in incorrect doses (which is one of the reasons I rarely recommend the use of drugs when homeopathy is so much more effective and there is no toxicity).

The bottom line is to [i]use common sense[/i]. Do not ignore any abnormal symptoms. The harm in Robitussin is that it can effectively (and safely) suppress the cough thereby allowing you to ignore the potentially serious underlying problem.

It is [b]not toxic[/b] at correct doses. That being said, I have not had a client need to use it for over a decade since treating the underlying imbalance with homeopahy is so effective.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!