Logo

drjeff1

toxoplasmosis

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My lovely 15 year old cat Hector has contracted toxoplasmosis and after being on anti-biotics for over 4 weeks does not seem to be getting any better. The toxo has affected his brain and central nervous system. He has trouble walking as his back legs give way and the other night we had a terrible scare as his head was shaking and his eyes were rapidly moving side ways. The vet thinks that perhaps he has a tumor as well, we just don’t know at this stage. Has anyone had similar experiences with either. I have done a little reading on toxoplasmosis, but I would really like more information. If you could help I would very much appreciate it. thank you.
    Jennie

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jennie] but I would really like more information. If you could help [/quote]

Hi Jennie-

Has Hector seen a neurologist? Neurologic toxo can certainly cause all of these signs but I agree with your vet. I would look further and consider the possibility that the infection is a red herring. It is much more likely, in my opinion, that the toxo titer is elevated as a result of an underlying immune imbalance rather than an active infection per se. My advice=look further.

This is a nice summary article for more info about the disease
    [url]http://www.fabcats.org/toxoplasmosis.html[/url]

Good luck and please keep us informed about how Hector is doing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!