Logo

drjeff1

Time Sensitive Reply Needed!!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I apologize for the urgency, but I don’t have internet access in Costa Rica and I am only in the U.S. until Sunday. It’s really important that I get help with this before I leave. There are only 2 vets in my area and I can’t go to them. I entrusted them with 2 dogs and a toucan last year and all 3 died in less than a week after these vets “cared” for them. I refuse to ever let that happen again. My pets are too important to me. So please help me if you can.
    Here’s the problem. My akita is 10 months old. She’s been throwing up ever since I got her at 10 weeks. At first it was infrequent but now it’s daily. And it’s not uncommon for her to throw up several times in one day. There isn’t one set pattern or one specific thing that sets this in motion. If she’s playing, she throws up. If she’s nervous she throws up. If she drinks too fast or too much she throws up. After almost every meal she throws up. She wakes in the middle of the night and throws up. It consists of food, water, yellow liquid…. could be anything.
    Another thing she’s always done, (which could be related ?), is eat beach sand, dirt, grass, wood, and saw dust. Nothing I’ve tried gets her to stop. It’s like she’s obsessed. Definitely a compulsive behavior.
    I try not to show my concern because she’s so attuned to what’s going on with me I don’t want her to pick up anything that would cause her more undo stress or worsen the problem. (She’s extremely intelligent and extremely sensitive to everything going on around her in a telepathic sort of way. If that makes sense?)
    Also, since I’ve been in the U.S. she’s shown signs of separation anxiety. My husband can’t leave her alone for 10 minutes without her trying to scratch her way through the door. She’s afraid of letting him out of her sight. She won’t even eat unless he sits with her and holds her dish.
    What’s going on? Is it nerves? She’s got to be miserable and I can’t stand the thought of her suffering like this. What can I do? Please help if you can. I truly appreciate it and I thank you in advance.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=MrsDMD]What can I do?[/quote]

I’m so sorry to hear about your losses.

Unfortunately I do not have enough info about your dog, e.g. diet, previous history, etc. to make specific treatment recommendations.

In general, if you are feeding a good, varied fresh-food diet, staying away from drugs and other toxins, and promoting a healthy lifestyle otherwise (e.g. what does she do all day?) there may be a mechanical problem which only a full workup can diagnose (x-rays, bloodwork, upper GI study +/- endoscopy).

For more help feel free to send me a private mail through this board before you leave.
    Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!