Logo

drjeff1

tick borne illness

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 3 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I’m back with a question about another dog!

My 8 year old dog Badger had to go to the emergency vet and spend the night yesterday because he became inappetent around four/five days ago, less energy, and when I took his temp on Saturday it was 105! I gave him Rimadyl and it came down but then went to 104 on Sunday so thus the trip to the e-vet.

His platelets were way low along with some other blood values, so they suspected a tick borne disease though the Snap test didn’t detect anything. They of course started treatment with doxycycline and steroids, due to the risk of it being autoimmune.

I took him to my regular vet this morning, and he strongly suspects a tick disease but doesn’t feel the need to do the DNA panel, sent us home with three weeks of doxy, with instructions to come back for another CBC in three weeks.

A friend who uses homeopathy said that her dog recently had the same thing, with platelets down, but rather than do the 6 weeks of antibiotics, she gave it ferrum phos, and the dog began trying to play with her son. She later gave it ledum, and hasn’t had any trouble since.

So, now that treatment is started, is there anything that I can give him to help him while he is receiving antibiotics? I’m struggling with NOT giving him the antibiotics since I don’t want to take a chance when antibiotics are the cure. I know they are harmful to gut flora which affects health, and this dog has close relatives who have died from cancers. I feed him a raw diet and haven’t vaccinated him in years.

Thanks!
    Betsy

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Welcome back Betsy!

Badger is a lucky pup to have you thinking holistically and homeopathically for him.

I’d strongly consider probiotic and immune support for him.

Rx Biotic, Glucammune, Immuno DMG Pro, etc. are all useful in this situation.

I’d also strongly advise consulting with a vet homeopath to get him back on the right track. I just replied with some referral recommendations elsewhere on the boards. Let me know if you can’t find the info.

Have a great evening.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!