Logo

drjeff1

the best food to feed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

OK, so maybe the title of this post is misleading. Most of us know that there is no one best food for any living being.

In my opinion (and what I tell all of my clients) is that the best diet is one which is FRESH (preferably organic) and VARIED. This can be accomplished many ways. Let’s discuss them…

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I have my dog on a mix of kibble and Barf.

The kibble is made by Solid Gold to which I add enzymes to help with digestion because once a food is cooked all the live enzymes die. He gets kibble in the mornings. He doesn’t like to eat all his food in one sitting, he has his kibble to go back to through out the day.

At night I feed him pre-made barf. I buy it premade even though it’s probably three times as expensive if I made it myself because I’m not confident enough yet to make it on my own. Unfortunately my dog hates any sort of veggies so the premade barf patties don’t work for him, the patties have veggies mixed in w/the meat and bone. I have to buy him the premade barf meat and bone mince (the bone is tiny you can barly see it, it’s ground up so much) to that I add, sea meal (for nutrients I may be missing by not giving him veggies) he also gets raw egg a few times a week. Once sometimes twice a week he also gets offal (organs).

To both his barf and kibble he gets oils added. I switch oils when I run out for variety. Oils made specifically for dogs. I’m still learning the ratio of meat vs bone and organ meats etc so until I know it 100% I won’t be making his home made barf until then.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=RysMom]I have my dog on a mix of kibble and Barf.
    because I’m not confident enough yet to make it on my own. .[/quote]

Sounds fine overall and a heck of a lot better than just kibble alone. My main advice in your situation is to make sure that you’re giving plenty of variety. That includes using different brands of kibble and different meats. I love the new DVD about natural feeding for dogs (“Eat, Drink and Wag Your Tail”). It will help you get more confident about making your dog’s food.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Is kibble the dried food you buy in bags from the supermarket?

I feed mine on Purina Dog Chow for adults because they don’t sell the puppy version here. I did manage to buy one bag of it when I first got her but they since sold out and never got any more. Maybe it was a good thing because I read that switching to adult food early on is beneficial.

She appears to really enjoy it and healthwise she is fine. Should I be feeding her other things? I’m reading lots about raw diets etc and how they are much better but if she is fine with what she has then should I really change it?

Mark

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=chinamark]Is kibble the dried food you buy in bags from the supermarket?
    Should I be feeding her other things?
    [/quote]

Hi Mark-

Yes, kibble is dry dog food. No living being can be truly healthy eating mainly (only?) highly processed food, full of low quality ingredients, fillers, preservatives and artifical colors/flavors (aka dry dog food).

Your puppy may appear outwardly healthy (for now) but her body is not getting the raw materials it needs (fresh food). In order for her to attain her full potential and to live as long and healthy a life as possible, I strongly recommend that you start to introduce fresh foods.

You can do this in many ways depending on what is available there in China. I urge you to read some of my diet and nutrition info to get started. You should also listen to Wysong’s short audio message which relates to this topic.

Feel free to post here again if I can help further.

Good luck.

Anonymous

Hi, my 3 year old DSH female Lexi has just had surgery to remove two struvite crystals from her bladder. The vet is now recommending a canned food prescription diet called CD. I have a little experience making their food myself using Dr Pitcairn’s book and recipes, but mostly I have had them on Wysong Vitality/Geriatrix dry supplemented once or twice weekly with Innova canned food, cooked chicken, cooked chicken liver with oatmeal, or tuna. I would like to start feeding them more real food (though probably not raw food), but I am having trouble finding specific instructions on what foods and/or supplements will acidify Lexi’s urine so she won’t get any more stones. Most sites I’ve researched just say, feed an acidifying diet. Do you have any recommendations on what exactly that means? I’m assuming high in protein and perhaps added vitamin C powder, but don’t know what else to add.

And as a corollary to that, does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed such a diet when one is gone? I go away for one or two nights every other week or so. For a longer period I can have a sitter come in daily and give them the food I prepare (once I figure out what to make) but for just a day or two, is it acceptable to leave out “real” food as well as dry food and water while I’m gone?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=AmyWinter] I would like to start feeding them more real food [/quote]

Hi again Amy-

First of all I’m sure you know that [b]any[/b] dry food is a big no-no. The most important dietary aspect of FLUTD (which includes crystalluria) prevention is adequate hydration and water consumption. You can accomplish this with wet food, added chicken broth with additional fresh food.

Meat, in and of itself, is acidifying. Virtually any fresh meat which you add to the diet will help acidify the urine. Stay away from grains (which cats don’t need anyway). Dr. Strombeck’s diet book (he is one of the pioneers of veterinary gastroenterolgy) has some home-prepared diets specifically for this purpose. You could add that to Lexi’s variety of meals as I wouldn’t recommend relying on just one food.

Make sure you check a urine pH every few weeks to make sure that your staying in a good range. You can either bring a sample to your vet or check it at home with litmus paper or special test strips. As you mentioned, vitamin C added to the diet can help as can 250-5000mg cranberry extract (which will prevent bacterial adherence to the bladder wall and thereby help prevent further crystals).

This is a great article [url]http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=017[/url]
    if you want lots more info.

Please keep us informed about Lexi’s progress.

Anonymous

I switched from pedigree to Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul.
    My dogs are doing great on it.They were allergic to Pedigree.
    Heres the links to other natural pet foods,that you don’t here much about.
    [url]http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.canidae.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/[/url]
    [url]http://dogsoul.invisionplus.net/[/url]
    [url]http://www.f-r-r.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.frommfamily.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.benchandfield.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.naturapet.com[/url][/code][/list]

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips, Dr Jeff, I will check out Strombeck’s book. It sounds good.

Regarding cranberry, I have some of the capsules that are sold for humans; inside the capsule is like a little hard pellet of red stuff which I am assuming is the solidified extract. How would you administer this? I was thinking if I softened it in a little hot water I could give it to her via syringe, though she hates that. 🙂

I will be starting both cats this week on some lightly cooked ground turkey and a small amount of cooked vegetable or psyllium powder until I can get the book and see what is recommended.

Thanks again for your help.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=AmyWinter]How would you administer this? [/quote]

Just open the capsule and add about 1/2 to the food (or even less if you divide it among two or three meals). Most of my patients tolerate the taste quite well. Of course some cats will not eat when [i]anything[/i] is added to the food and in these cases you do have to resort to the syringe method.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Hi Amy,

Did you ever get an answer to your question about “as a corollary to that, does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed such a diet when one is gone?” I know dry food is a no-no for cats, but the food our Gracie eats when we’re there would NOT stay out well for 24 hrs. Any ideas you received? Thanks!

Linda

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Linda Gramatky Smith]any suggestions on how to feed such a diet when one is gone?” [/quote]

Good morning Linda-

Any of the freeze-dried meats such as Wysong Archetype work great for this.

Dr. Jeff

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Thats one way but i am not sure if it will work with every option.

Anonymous

I would like to make a suggestion for anyone who is interested.

This is an excellent book: K9 Kitchen: Your Dogs Diet – The Truth Behind the Hype by Monica Segal, AHCW

You can read about Monica here: [url]www.monicasegal.com[/url]. She also hosts a yahoo group – K9 Kitchen.

I was lucky enough for someone to tell me about her and I am learning so much from her…so I just have to share 🙂 .

Michaela

Anonymous

So, I thought I was doing the right thing by feeding my adult cat wet and dry food from my neighborhood Whole Foods market (cuz they wouldn’t sell anything that’s bad for you, right?). Now I have just adopted another older cat with Feline Infectious Peritonitis, and I’ve been feeding him wet and dry kitten food because he’s very skinny, and I thought that kitten food might help him put on some weight. Now, I realize that I haven’t a clue about what I should be feeding my cats, and I need some guidance.

I read Dr. Jeff’s page about the foods and supplements he recommends, but I’m a little confused about the Wysong Archetype food — is it for both cats and dogs? And what fresh food should I feed my cats? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. My cats thank you as well. Meow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!