Logo

drjeff1

Switching my senior girl to raw

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,

I am in the process of switching my 10 yr old GSD “Heidi” over to a raw diet. Heidi has many health problems: Discoid Lupus, severe inhalant allergies, allergic lung disease, hd, spondylosis and she had acute pancreatitis about four years ago.

At this point I feel more comfortable using a pre-made diet…I choose “FarMore”. I’m a little worried about the fat content in raw diets. Heidi has been on kibble with a fat content of 12% without any problems. The FarMore chicken diet also says “as feed 12% fat”. Now would the fat precentage on a bag of kibble be the same as in the raw food or is there a difference…hope this questions makes sense 😕

I would never forgive myself if Heidi came down with pancreatitis again, this poor dog has been through enough in her lifetime. When she was diagnosed with Pancreatits they couldn’t tell me the cause but I strongly suspect the prednisone she had been on.

I am giving her digestive enzymes and probiotics. I haven’t started her on the FarMore yet, right now she has been getting some raw chicken breast, gizzards, hearts and she is doing fine with it.

Thank you,
    Michaela

Anonymous

HeidiGSD, This is a good starting point [url]http://www.barfworld.com/main.shtml[/url]

drjeff if we’re not allowed to post other websites on the board please remove it. And I’m soory if not allowed.

Anonymous

Thank you luv4gsd. 🙂

I have read both of Dr. Billinghurst’s books and several others (Kymythy Schultze, Susan Johnson) and I also belong to a few Yahoo groups.

If Heidi was younger and in reasonable health I wouldn’t worry about the switch but her advanced age and health have me concerned.

Michaela

Anonymous

Anyone else have any advise? 💡

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=HeidiGSD]Anyone else have any advise? :idea:[/quote]

My only additional advice if you are worried about the natural diet is to start working with an experienced holistic vet. A vet homeopath would be even better. H/She will help you both with dietary advice as well as remedies directed at the underlying process which has caused all of the problems in the first place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!