Logo

drjeff1

Suture Reaction

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Luna is having a sub-q suture reaction. She has a hardening of the tissue under and surrounding the incision, about 4″ by 5″. It’s not hot or painful. I was wondering if there was anything but Hot Packing I should do for her??

She is active and happy otherwise.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Brenda]Luna is having a sub-q suture reaction. I was wondering if there was anything but Hot Packing I should do for her??

She is active and happy otherwise.[/quote]

Hi Brenda-

Thanks for posting this problem which we see so often in some cats and dogs after surgery.

A thickening of the area along an incision line usually indicates the production of fibrous connective tissue in response to the surgical incision and suture material. Basically it’s Luna’s body healing itself (forming a scar).

As long as the area is not red and is clean and dry it will be fine. Make sure that she’s not irritating the area by chewing/licking or running around too much. As you indicated, the best way to help her heal at this point is to use hot compresses 2-3 times a day.

Basically take a washcloth or small towel and saturate it with warm-hot water. Wring it out and hold it over the area until the towel cools off. Keep doing this for a total of 3-5 minutes.

The heat will increase the local blood flow and facilitate healing. If at any time Luna goes off her food or has decreased energy or if the surgical area starts looking red or oozy, you should go back to the vet who did the surgery to be sure that everything is OK.

Typical healing time after an ovariohysterectomy (spay) is 7-10 days. If she is small and low key she might heal faster, but if she is large and active it could take a little longer.

Good luck.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Surgical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!