Logo

drjeff1

Soybeans and Soynuts…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am in the process of mixing up a batch of raw food for my two adult dogs. One has some allergy challenges and I am just starting to learn what she can and cannot eat.
    My question is: Can they have soy beans or soy nuts? (both are purchased from Wild Oats and are organic products)
    It seems that the soy nuts would be a good addition to the mix of RAW meat, veges, eggs, supplements and honey that I mix up and they are enjoying right now. providing additional crunch without adding processed kibbles (which they have just been weaned off after 6-7 yrs of eating them)
    FYI I do follow up the mix with a raw bone for them to gnaw on every two or three days.
    sofar they are happy with the plan.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=raina]Can they have soy beans or soy nuts? (both are purchased from Wild Oats and are organic products)[/quote]

Good morning Raina-

Yes, the soy nuts could be a good addition to the mix. Soy can be an allergy trigger however, so once you start giving it you should be on the lookout for any negative effects, e.g. increaseed itching, skin irritation, diarrhea, etc.

As you know I am a huge advocate of variety in the diet and don’t believe in avoiding any particular ingredients. If a dog (or cat, or person) has a problem handling a particular ingredient then it is important to deal with the underlying issue that’s causing the intolerance. Avoidance is never the answer, it’s just another way of palliating symptoms.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!