Logo

drjeff1

Sick Kitty – IBD

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My 8 year old female kitty (Candy) was diagnosed with IBD the beginning of February. She was vomiting most of the time. We started giving her prednisone (5 mg) 2 times a day then gradually decreased the dosage to 1 time a day, every other day, 2 times a week. She continued to vomit then diarrhea set in the beginning of March. A few times she defecated outside her litter box in the house. On March 14 the prednisone was increased to 2 times a day again. Also prescribed was 250 mg of Albon (1 time a day) and 250 mg of Flagyl (2 times a day). She continued to have diarrhea and now had a loss of appetite. On March 17 the vet prescribed .2 mg of Centrine, 2 times a day. She had a adverse reaction to the Flagyl (salivating profusely). We (not the vet) decided to discontinue the Fagyl and Albon on 3/18. On 3/19 we gave her the Albon again along with the Prednisone and centrine. Just too many drugs!!! Candy hasn’t vomited in about 4 days. Still has diarrhea. Her behavior is not normal – reclusive, lethargic, loss of appetite (has lost lots of weight). This is not our playful, talkative, active, friendly kitty. We don’t know what to do and it’s breaking our hearts. We are worried that euthanasia is the only solution. We hope not. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Linda Rossetti]We don’t know what to do and it’s breaking our hearts. We are worried that euthanasia is the only solution. We hope not. Any advise would be appreciated.[/quote]

Hi Linda-

I posed a reply a few days ago but it seems to have disappeared. Ah well, the new and improved forum should be up very soon and will be more stable.

Basically I just explained my approach to a case like Candy’s. First thing I do is adjust the diet to make sure it is optimal (no grain) and fresh-food based. Next I will wean the medications and stop those that are non-essential.

As part of the weaning process, there are some natural supplements which I use that will help her body adjust to the removal of the drugs. The *most important* step IMHO is the addition of constitutional homeopathic prescribing. This will reduce (and hopefully eliminate) the imbalance which has led to the IBD symptoms.

A good holistic vet can help with the first three steps but you will need an experienced vet homeopath to help find the best homeopathic remedy for Candy. Make sure that you find someone who is knowledgeable about this disease and is comfortable working with the drugs which she is taking (as they should not all just be stopped cold turkey).

Go to [url]http://www.theavh.org[/url] for a referral.

Also, you might find this site [url]http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.html[/url] helpful. She doesn’t talk much about homeopathy as her cat was basically cured by the diet upgrade.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!