Logo

drjeff1

Shots before spaying

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We have a 4 month old Basset Hound. We want to get her spayed in a couple of months before she comes into her first heat. Our breeder is not very happy with us because she says we need to have all her vaccinations up to date before she has surgery or she could pick something up from the vets and get very sick. She has only had her 6 week vaccinations and that is all I intend on giving her except for the rabies shot around one year just because it is required by law. Our male Basset was neutered around a year of age and all he had before his surgery was his 6 week shots and the rabies shot. How do you feel about this? Are there other precautions I can take before having our puppy fixed? Thanks for your help.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

In all the puppies I have raised, probably 10 in my life so far, puppy shots are a series of 3 to 4 depending on drug manufacture. If you start at 6 weeks and giving another every 3 weeks then by 4 months you should be finished with the puppy series and can have the rabies. Where I live in California, puppies are required to have rabies by the time they are 4 months old. I certainly agree with your breeder that your pup should be fully vacinated before she goes in for surgery. I would call and ask your vet their protocal on puppy shots, rabies and spaying times.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Anonymous]your pup should be fully vacinated[/quote]

I agree 100% that you want a maximally immune protected dog before exposure to the veterinary hospital environment. Repeated (“3 or 4”) vaccines in an immature immune system is not the way to go about it in my opinion.

I applaud Mcclure for avoiding most of the immunizations. There is plenty of strong evidence that vaccination poses more of a risk to immune health than does infectious disease.

As far as optimally preparing for the stress of spaying, I recommend early preventative homeopathic and nutritional treatment. Proper diet and a properly prescribed homeopathic remedy is the best preventative in my opinion. I have even seen clinical situations where vaccination predisposed to disease in the face of an outbreak.

I am thinking about two cases of dogs that were at dog shows and exposed to (the dreaded) Parvo, and Kennel Cough. In both cases, other vaccinated dogs caught the illnesses whereas the homeopathically treated/natural diet, unvaccinated ones did not.

It’s your choice. I do not vaccinate my own pets except for rabies as required by law.

Anonymous

Can a veterinarian refuse to spay/neuter puppies because they have not recieved all of those shots??? My past experiences with vets seems that they are so adamant about what they want to do. I want to be informed before I get there! And don’t these professionals have to have this updated knowledge of alternate methods…in CEUs or something?
    Thanks in advance for your response! 😀

Anonymous

Does overvaccination have some dangerous effect on an animal? I have raised 8 to 9 dogs and I’ve always relied on the vet for the recommended shots.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Thanks for asking Christy. Take a look at the many reliable articles (many by others) on this site such as in the [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-library/itemlist/category/66-vaccination-decisions]library[/url] or on the [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-chat/vaccination-issues]forum[/url].

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thanks for the detail information here for us. Thanks a lot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Vaccination Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!