Logo

drjeff1

Shelter Italian Greyhound

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi Everyone!

I’m new to this forum. Two weeks and 5 days ago we adopted a adult Italian Greyhound, they say about 2-3 yeas old. He was picked up at a shelter and fostered for about 6 weeks. He’s supposed to be housebroken. He does well for a few days and then starts to pee on doors and walls. I keep my eye on him and just when I start to trust him, he pees on something. He knows he’s not supposed to do it and usually hides. I don’t scold him, I just put him outside and clean up the mess. Can this be from the stress of being taken to the shelter and this becoming his 3rd home in just over 2 months? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We also have a rescue Westie and they get along very well. He does seem jealous of her occasionally.

Cathy

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=WyleBoy] He does well for a few days and then starts to pee on doors and walls.[/quote]

This might be a urine marking problem rather than a housebreaking one. If he has not been castrated (or if he was older when neutered) then that is more likely.

If he is urinating in certain particular spots, the odor from the urine may also be attracting him. To eliminate this I use a product called Zero Odor which works great to neutralize pretty much any scents.

Also, if you catch him in the act you should tell him NO (don’t use his name) and take him right outside. Consider working with a dog trainer if this persists.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

He’s now been with us for 2 months and still is marking one or twice a week. He does this while I’m home. I know he doesn’t do this because he needs to go outside, he goes out every 2-3 hours and holds it for 9 hours at night. Do they mark if they get excited or are nervous? I have started using vinegar and sprayed my entire carpet with it. Will this ever stop or will I need to see a trainer?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=WyleBoy]Will this ever stop or will I need to see a trainer?[/quote]

First, try using Zero Odor eliminator on the areas which he has marked previously (this will reduce the likelihood of using thos spots again due to their odor). Then contine your daily training at home. If problems persist then you need to start working with a dog trainer to help with housebreaking (read my puppy rearing articles and the article on How Dogs Think at [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/pet_new.html[/url] for much more info).

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!