Logo

drjeff1

Shedding a virus

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

What exactly does this mean? I have a 4 year old cat who was exposed to the feline leukemia virus (by his mom) and does shedding it mean that is good or bad? How can one tell if the virus is indeed active or in remission. I have given him for 3 nights (2) 30cc pulsatilla pellets. Is there any other adivse for how to bring this into remission? I do not want to have him tested as he is stressed enough from his mother’s death.

I am still so confused as to how she contracted the virus in the first place since she was an indoor only cat and not exposed to other animals.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Annette]What exactly does this mean?

How can one tell if the virus is indeed active or in remission.

Is there any other adivse for how to bring this into remission?

I am still so confused as to how she contracted the virus in the first place since she was an indoor only cat and not exposed to other animals.
    [/quote]

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mama cat.

1-It means that the virus may be present in saliva, urine, stool, etc. and therefore other animals could be at risk.

2-Usually based on active symptoms of disease, e,g, cancer, anemias, high white count, liver, kidney, or other organ problems, fluid in the chest or belly, etc.

3-The best way to treat a leukemia positive cat is to strengthen the immune system. This is done by optimal diet (fresh/real food and meat-based), good hygiene with plenty of exercise and proper weight, and constitutional homeopathic prescribing over the life of your cat. I would advise contacting an experienced vet homeopath for proper treatment.

4-Probably at birth.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I really appreciate the information you have given me to help with Whitey’s “maybe” active leukemia. So far, he seems pretty good. I do use Dr.Pitcairn’s book as sort of an adivsory. Unfortuantely, due to my husband’s medical condition (he recently started dialysis), we really do not have the extra money for me to go to a holistic vet. So, I shall do the best I can. I feed him only food from the health food store (endorsed by Andrew Weil, M.D.) food, I give him Healthy Powder sprinkled on his dry food and only bottled water.

I also do use the homeopathic pellets when I see changes in his mood/health. So far, the pulsatilla has worked, as he became extremely clingy after his mom died.

Again, thank you for your help and kind words. If there is anything else you feel might help, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Annette] If there is anything else you feel might help, I would appreciate your thoughts.[/quote]

Add fresh food (like chicken, beef, fish, etc.) to the canned Pet Promise (and use other types of canned foods as well like Precise, Wysong meats/Archetype, ZiwiPeak, etc.).

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I really am trying to keep my Whitey (shortened from White Nose) around….he is a big mush.

I also have been feeding him Wellness foods since he was an infant. Is that a pretty good brand?

Anonymous

Good morning,

I have noticed that my cat, Whitey, is not eating a lot these last couple of days. I intend to buy some raw liver today and force him (if necessary) to have some. I think what I need to know and what worries me is…with his active leukemia state, IS there a chance for remission of the virus? I am sure without seeing him, this is a silly question, but I guess I am looking for some hope. The “regular” vet said not really, but I refuse to believe that. I am so incredibly worried about him. Thanks.

Annette

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Annette].with his active leukemia state, IS there a chance for remission of the virus? [/quote]

The answer depends on what you mean by “active”. If he already has severe anemia or advanced lymphosarcoma (cancer) associated with the virus the prognosis is generally not good (no matter what you do).

That being said, I don’t however typically associate the word remission with feline leukemia because [i]in my opinion[/i], it is not typically a virulent or rapidly progressing disease like “cancer”.

As I have mentioned elsewhere (see [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/flnvrs.html[/url] ), excellent nutrition, appropriate supplementation and homeopathy can often help cats that are FeLV positive live long and happy lives.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thank you once again for your insite. I really wish that I was able to afford to go to a holistic vet at this time. BUT, I am reading up as much as I can and trying to do what is best for Whitey.

I am somewhat encouraged, as he seems a little better today. Eats…not tons, but most of his food…canned and dry. I add supplements and give him Ester C additionally. And lots and lots of love and attention 🙂

You must be a very amazing human being…I mean that!

Annette

Anonymous

Now I am getting really, really frightened. Whitey has about 6 of those horns on his neck, he is eating ONLY his dry food, no canned (last 2 days). I am giving him 1,000 mg. Ester C along with his multi vitamins. And will try nux 30 tonight…..

Is there even a chance that he will make it? My heart is really breaking right now….he is and always has been my “special” one, so this hurts! His Mom is Ursula, the one who just died in March from the leukemia.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Annette] Whitey has about 6 of those horns on his neck, he is eating ONLY his dry food, no canned (last 2 days). [/quote]

His prognosis depends on what the “horns” are. If you can post a link to a photo, I will take a look.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Good morning,

Unfortunately, I will be unable to download a picture. Do not have a digital camera.

One of these things (horns?) was near his wisker. I washed his face this morning and it fell off. To the best of my viewing of it, looks almost like matted hair, but hard. And curved, almost like a toenail.

He is eating better these days. I, in addition to giving him Ester C (500 mg.)w/vegetable broth 2-3 times a day, have been giving him a 1/2 dropper of Pet Tinic vitamin daily. I did not know if there was a better multi (liquid) on the market. His diet mainly consists of Wellness Core and Indoor dry, to which I add the “healthy powder” (1/2 tsp. each time) from Dr. Pitcairn’s book. This is 2 x’s a day. And I use the Pet Promise chicken canned. He likes that the best and with all the poking and prodding I have been doing, I feel it would be to stressful to him to introduce another kind…he runs when he sees me coming with that dropper with his meds 🙂 His favorite treat is Kitty Kaviar!

I gave him Pulsatilla 30 a month ago. Would Nux Vomica be helpful?????

Thanks! The things we do for our “children” 🙂

Annette

Anonymous

What is a good liquid vitamin to give cats to support their immune system? I do give the “healthy powder” from Dr. Pitcairns book but wanted a multi also. He currently takes “Pet Tinic”, but the high iron content seems to constipate him. Many thanks!

Annette:

Anonymous

I would like you to know, that one year since I first contacted you about Whitey’s Feline Leukemia virus…he is doing so well. I give him only either Wellness or Pets Promise for food, along with supplements.

Your site and help is wonderful. Many thanks!

Annette

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Annette].he is doing so well.
    Your site and help is wonderful. Many thanks!

Annette[/quote]

Excellent!!

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!