Logo

drjeff1

renal failure progression and what to do

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,
    My 21 year old kitty, with no other issues besides some hearing loss, was diagnosed in January 2013 with CRF. I don’t have her values in front of me, but I believe it’s quite advanced. At the advice of a home vet with training in herbs, immediately I put her on the RX Renal herbs (one capsule per day) that you sell and give 1/2 Pepcid tablet 2x/day plus Azodyl at night. Her appetite and elimination is fine and as the weather has warmed up, she likes an outdoor session or two daily. She got SubQ ringer’s solution with added B-12 and potassium for two weeks daily in January (150 ml). Then every other day. I tried every third day for a couple of weeks in March but that wasn’t enough so went back to every other day. For the past couple of weeks she is fighting with me on the fluids. I switched her to Normosol-R (seems it depends on who you ask which is better and I asked 4 vets) a couple of months ago with nothing added. I’ve been using the smaller gauge needle with the new fluids for a couple of months now also. It seems to be slower and slower to go into her and I have not been able to do the same amount,150 ml, for quite some time perhaps a month now. If I get 75 in per session, that’s it. I am struggling with what to do, as I understand that eventually it does not work anymore. Today she was at the litter box several times in an hour trying to urinate. I gave her more fluids which seems to have settled her down (she was vocalizing a lot). She drinks from the sink a few times a day (which she started doing a year ago, without me knowing what that indicated!) I don’t want to be forcible about it, and want to be fair to what she can tolerate. I know she won’t live a long time with this, although 21 is a long life already. What do people do when it gets to be like this? I really don’t want to keep testing her levels, I believe in our ability to see what’s happening with out that… so what can you tell me? Thanks.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Great work with controlling her kidney disease and keeping her happy for 21 years!

Most of my clients treat very similarly to how you have been doing. The main differences include concurrent homeopathic treatment and using ReanAvast instead of Azodyl.

Also, you can find lots of other reliable information at:

http://www.felinecrf.org/ and https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-library/item/515-the-brighthaven-way-to-support-a-quality-of-life

Gail at [url=http://brighthaven.org/]BrightHaven[/url] is a great source for info and support.

Good luck!

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!