Logo

drjeff1

rawhide bones

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Are rawhide bones safe for dogs? I read contradicting articles, some saying they are safe and others saying they are not. My dog loves them and goes through at least one a week, so I want to make sure I’m not giving him something that could harm in the long run. If they are not safe and digestable and you advise against them, what are other healthier options for a god who is a power chewer?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ashlyburmeister]Are rawhide bones safe for dogs?[/quote]

Hi Ashly-

They are generally safe. There is always a choking possibility but that is true of anything which your dog puts in his mouth.

In addition, stick with rawhide made in the US or by companies that you know well and trust, e.g. CET. Some of the rawhides on the market are bleached and/or made with toxic chemicals.

Personally I recommend Bully Sticks for my patients, rather than rawhides. They are better for them are more natural, and are great for “power chewers”.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I agree with Dr. Jeff completely. As for another opinion…The knotted rawhides can and do come appart and big dogs can chew off hunks that would be dangerous if swallowed. I have found that the “pressed” bone shape rawhides are better. As long as you monitor the dogs chewing all should go well. Just don’t leave the dog alone with one. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Anonymous

My previous beloved pet, a lab mix, was given one of those rawhides with the ends tied in a knot. He managed to gnaw one end all nice and soft, and it eventually unknotted leaving a 5 inch piece that he chewed off. This piece plugged him up good causing him a couple of days of problems and us a couple of hundred dollars in vet bills.

Anonymous

[quote=ashlyburmeister] My dog loves them and goes through at least one a week, so I want to make sure I’m not giving him something that could harm in the long run.[/quote]

Care to share your views about “least”?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!