Logo

drjeff1

Raw Bones

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have just purchased a raw foods book but in the interim, I need some guidance, I have been givng raw bones to my two “kids” they are good with them. But I have been careful to make sure they are knuckle bones or smooth surfaced bones…
    I have just cut away a large porterhouse steak bone which is a long narrow, but heavy bone and i am nervous about bone splinters, ARE ALL RAW BONES OK?

Aside from a power saw is there a way to cut them in half?

HOW OFTEN CAN I GIVE RAW BONES? every day? every other?
    that is my last question…
    thanks…

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Raw feeders (people who feed a raw diet to their dogs) focus on trying to mimick feeding the prey animal. Because you want to include calcium in the diet – you choose either whole bones, ground bones or calcium supplements. I prefer the first two options. But NOT all bones provide easy chewing because the goal is to get the dog to safely and easily ingest the amount of bone you want.

Raw Meaty Bone is the “terminology” of the type of bones you want to give your dog on a regular basis for FOOD. Knuckle bones, marrow bones, and any other bones that don’t have much meat are NOT raw meaty bones – they are chew toys. They have no nutritional value although some dogs eat knuckle bones and can get alot of bone/cartilage from them – but they are in my mind – too much bone for a meal and are merely a chew item. However – if you let your dog chew on it – you do consider the amount of bone that dog is ingesting so you don’t over do it.

As you read in your raw diet books – normal raw meaty bones are things like chicken necks, chicken backs, turkey necks, turkey backs and my very favorite things – whole cornish game hens, whole quail, and whole rabbits. Even things like pork spines, lamb necks, buffalo tails can SORT OF be considered raw meaty bones but they often don’t have enough meat on them to form the appropriate meat/bone ratio for a good meal – so you need to add meat to the meal when feeding body parts that are low in meat. The reason I prefer the whole items it that we work hard to mimic the prey animal – what easier way of doing that then feeding the whole animal. They also keep the dog occupied for a long time and serve as excellent exercise for the dog.

Since you don’t want to only feed chicken, turkey or rabbit – you do feed red meats as well – for balance. I happen to really like pre-made raw diets for this purpose – I like Bravo’s ground lamb breast which is lamb meat and lamb bone all ground up safely. I also happen to feed whole (NOT CUT) lamb necks. I like Bravo’s beef blend which is meat/bone/veggies all mixed up. Or you can make your own – red muscle meat, some organs and some lovely tripe (for fiber and as the vegetable matter in the diet).

So – in order to feed a good balanced raw diet you need to make sure you find good, easily and safely edible bone material – if you are nervous about bones – definately start with items that are ground meat and bone.

IF you happen to come up to or live in Massachusetts – there are numerous locations of the Especially For Pets stores there and they offer free raw diet seminars a couple times a month – helping people get started feeding raw safely and balanced. You can check out the stores at [url]www.especiallyforpets.com[/url] – they sell 7 varieties of raw diet products from whole cornish game hens to ground quail and elk with meat/bones/organs – a lovely choice.

But definately do the reading in the books and you’ll see – feeding steak bones IS NOT a raw diet and not recommended. As you progress in feeding raw however – you may opt to get a cow butchered for your dogs and then you’ll be able to specifically arrange to get great cuts of the cow that are lots of meat surrounding the bones that you want and you use that as a mostly meat meal and you take that bone away after the dog has gnawed on it for a short time.

IF you have further detailed questions about raw – you can always email me at [email][email protected][/email] and I can put you in touch with your breed raw diet email group and they can also help guide you on beginning to feed your dog a raw diet.

Judy & Mick

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!