Logo

drjeff1

Rat Food

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Tony Scott 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Food specifically for rats is hard to find in my small town and isnt sold at the pet store. Ive been feeding my rat hamster food. Is there anything very dangerous about this?

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Hi Kacey!

Not very dangerous, but my source (a veterinarian) tells me that rats do very well on [i] good[/i] quality dog food. Basicaly, if you have to make this kind of a decision, dog food is better for a rat than hamster food.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

I heard rat’s arent suppost to have meat in their diet and won’t dog food have meat a part of it?

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Hi again Kacey!

Before I responded to your question I called a vet who treats pocket pets (rats, gerbils, hamsters, etc) to get a reliable answer for you. So the recommendation to feed dog food rather than hamster food comes from a vet.

I totally understand your concern and the only thing I can suggest is that you call a vet in your area who treats pocket pets and get a specific food recommendation from him or her. (Keep in mind, the phone call is free.) That way you can be sure you will be doing the right thing.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Kacey, I think this information will be helpful to you, especially the first link as far as the food issue is concerned:

[url]http://www.afrma.org/rminfo1.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/[/url]

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Thanks for your help! I bought an all-natural dog kibble for extra small bread and my rat loves it. I noticed when he was on hamster food for a short while, he was having an overweight problem and lack of energy. He is much better since. I also give him some sort of vegetable a day. Once again, thanks.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

See subject.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!