Logo

drjeff1

rash

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I believe my puppy is having a reaction to playing in my Bleeding Heart plant. As it can cause problems in people no doubt it gave her the rash. I am cutting it down as keeping her safe is more important. She chews everything. What can I do to help her stop itching? The worst parts are where there is no hair. Even in her ears.
    Thanks for any help. Vicki 😳

Anonymous

You can give her benadryl.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=KoKo Poof]What can I do to help her stop itching? The worst parts are where there is no hair. Even in her ears. [/quote]

I always recommend a few drops of Rescue Remedy as the first thing to try for very itchy dogs. If the itch doesnt calm down in 5-10 minutes you can safely repeat the dose several more times.

Benadryl and chlorphenaramine are safe antihistamines that can also help with itch. Sedation is a common side-effect of these drugs. You should check with your vet before using any drugs (OTC or not).

Warm water and a mild soap or shampoo should get rid of any residual allergens (if indeed this is a contact dermatitis from the plant).

Itching from topical exposure to a Bleeding Heart makes me wonder whether this dog is overly sensitive to her environment. You may want to address this hypersensitivity more holistically (rather than just dealing with the itch itself).

Good luck.

Anonymous

Thanks to all, KoKo Poof is doing better…It just looks bad. The redness is going down and she is not acting itchy. I did bath the area and used ear wipes in the ears..I got itchy just digging out the plant so I am sure that it was caused by that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!