Logo

drjeff1

Rabies Vaccination Question Please

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello,

I am new here, but I am hoping to get some help right away with a rabies vaccination issue. I have a 9 year-old Westie named Chloe. Last December, she became ill with Pancreatitis and is now diabetic. She also suffers with a ragweed allergy from August throught November each year. Last Friday, I took her in to her Veterinarian to have routine bloodwork done and also x-rays because of some pain she is having in her right rear leg (turned out to be arthritis in the knee joint).

As I was preparing to leave, the Doctor questioned me about her Rabies vaccination, which I already knew was past due. I explained that I did not feel that due to the Diabetes and her ragweed allergy, as well as the Pancreatits last December, that it was in her best interest to be vaccinated. Then I was told it was required by law. I insisted that I did not want to do it and could I have a Rabies Titer done instead. She agreed to do the test.

My question is this……what will I do if the test does not come back as I hope it will? I have always been told that only a “Healthy” animal should be vaccinated. I have also been told that the package insert for the vaccine states this. Chloe is doing pretty well at this time, and I will not allow her to be harmed by this vaccine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
    Heidi Nickell
    Staunton, Virginia

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=WESTIELOVER]what will I do if the test does not come back as I hope it will? I have always been told that only a “Healthy” animal should be vaccinated. [/quote]

If she has had prior rabies inoculations, and if her immune system is functioning anywhere near “normal” then I would be willing to bet that the titer will be protective. In the very unlikely event that it is not, then Chloe’s medical conditions may preclude any other vaccinations. Ever.

Talk to your vet about getting a waiver. Kris Christine in Maine [url]http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/researchers%20behind%20the%20challenge.html[/url] can help you further if necessary.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Vaccination Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!