Logo

drjeff1

puppy with lice

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

I have a little 9 week old puppy that we got through an animal rescue organization. He has black hair & had alot of flaky, white crumbs throughout his hair. When we asked about it, the woman told us that he just had dry skin. We took him home and let him play with our dog and we gave him his own sleeping quarters. The next morning, I went outside with him and took a flea comb to comb through his hair to try & get the dry skin off and to my amazement, I saw little whitish pink bugs crawling on the comb and loose hair on the comb!!!! I called the vet and was told it was lice and he needed to go on Frontline Plus for dogs which kills fleas, tics and lice. Since we realized he had lice, he has been staying out in our garage. I feel so awful for this poor puppy however, we cannot contaminate our house, our other dog and ourselves. We gave him the treatment last night and it seems like they are all killed, but he has still has tons of eggs (nits) all on his hair shafts.

I called the Frontline experts to see if it would be safe to bring him in the house now, or if I should keep him in the garage for another night. He told me that even though the lice may be all killed, but the eggs may or may not be killed because they they haven’t hatched yet!! He said he’s not sure when it would be safe to let the puppy back in the house where he’s not in a contagious state anymore, but that they “probably” would be all killed within a month’s time!!! I can’t believe this and it’s bad enough feeling so guilty about him living in the garage for a couple of days after all this poor little puppy has been through already, but I would feel totally awful making him stay there for a whole stinkin’ month!!!!! I don’t know what to do?????!!!!!! Please help!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=bellamart] I would feel totally awful making him stay there for a whole stinkin’ month!!!!! I don’t know what to do[/quote]

I agree that isolating a puppy at this tender age will be very detrimental to his socialization. It could negatively affect him for the rest of his life. My advice is simple DON’T DO IT.

Fortunately lice are one of the most benign and easy to eliminate of all dog ectoparasites. They are very species specific, i.e. dog lice don’t spread to kids, or cats, and they spend their entire lifecycle on the dog (unlike fleas which spend most of their life and lay eggs in the environment). See [url]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1620&articleid=752[/url] for more info.

Pretty much any simple puppy flea and tick bath will get rid of the adults. To insure that you kill the emerging eggs, you should repeat it in 1 and 2 weeks.

Because you have already applied a MUCH stronger insecticide which lasts for at least 1 month then I don’t see the need for any other toxic treatment.

Please let us know how it’s going. Above all don’t neglect socializing your pup. Bring him everywhere and expose him to lots of new situations (read my socializing puppies article for more info).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!