Logo

drjeff1

Puppy Stares at Lights

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Our 7-month old GSP puppy has started to display an odd behavior. He stares at lights – and not just lightbulbs but the sun as well. He stares and then jumps to try and “get it.” We have no idea where this behavior comes from (well fed on organic diet, pure bred, no health problems) but are worried he will “burn his eyes” and do permanent damage. Does anyone have an idea of hwy this occurs? We’ve tried to get him to stop through commands and praise – nothing is working.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jaeschmitt] We have no idea where this behavior comes from

Does anyone have an idea of hwy this occurs? We’ve tried to get him to stop through commands and praise – nothing is working.[/quote]

This is one of those common but abnormal symptoms of internal imbalance which I wrote about in [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/common.html[/url]

There is not usually any conventional “diagnosis” for this behavior. In other words all of the tests in the world including CT and MRI are not going to reveal the problem. In addition, this is not a training problem, so don’t worry about trying to condition him out of it.

OK, so enough with what it’s not, what is it? First of all I would say that the GSP is one of the top breeds I see for displaying this condition. Basically it is a fascination with bright and shiny objects which in its extreme can become obsessive and maniacal. Often I see it starting with staring at bright lights, then reflections, shadows, etc. I even have a patient that absolutely goes berserk and tries to bite and attack the TV if he’s in the same room when it’s on. It is occasionally associated with other behavior problems and epilepsy in older dogs.

This abnormal behavior is not usually seen until after the first rabies vaccination. Veterinary homeopaths know that it is a sign of rabies vaccinosis. See [url]http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Animals/horses.htm[/url] for more info.

Personally I would read more about vaccinosis and homeopathic treatment. If it makes sense to you then consult a vet homeopath and start working on this problem soon. The earlier you get the internal imbalance which is causing this symptom under control the better.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes. This is one of those fascinating symptoms which conventional medicine can’t erradicate but for which homeopathic treatment is ideal.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Thanks for the good article. How can we find a good homeopathic vet in the Atlanta area? Our breeder – who follows a really homeopathic strategy – had us only give certain shots and we followed with natural vitamins and other to help the immune system. OUr vet even ordered these vaccines that are “safer.” We waited to give his rabies shot until 6 months too. JR

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jrschmit]We waited to give his rabies shot until 6 months too. JR[/quote]

Perfect! Six months of age is when the immune system is as ready as it’s going to be to handle the rabies vaccination. Homeopathic treatment prior to the vaccine is even better.

Out of curiosity, did he display this behavior before the rabies vaccine? Any behavioral changes since the vaccine?

Go to [url]http://theavh.org/referral/avh_index.php[/url] for referrals. Search especially for certified members (those of us with advanced homeopathic training and strict dedication to homeopathic healing). If there is no one in your area, many of us also do phone consultations.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!