Logo

drjeff1

Puppy Barking

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We have a nine week old female Basset puppy that we just brought home. We also have a 13 month old male Basset. Our male is very quiet – never barks, except when I’m preparing his food. He’s always been that way. The female puppy is constantly barking at her brother to try and get him to play (he thinks she’s nuts) and is just VERY VOCAL in general. I want to nip this in the bud as I don’t want her barking at people when they come to the door, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Your right at this age you do need to nip this barking problem in the bud. Check out the Family Dog Inc. message board for excellent help from professional trainers all over the USA. Join for free and get all the on line help you need.

[url]http://p073.ezboard.com/bfamilydog[/url]

Anonymous

You have a few options…. in all cases you want to think: What can I replace this behavior with?

I’ve just logged into the site you recommended. It took some time to find anything regarding our problem, but I did locate it in the end, and have joined another fellow sufferer. This is the reply they had just in case anybody is interested in this topic.

– You need to create NEW habits which is why simply ignoring isn’t helping.

And why “telling him off” probably won’t work…. no new behavior, no idea what else to do.

So.. bark, bark – down. He lies down, you help him to lie down – you reward him. Or bark-bark – kennel up with a quick, calm trip to the crate for 5 minutes.

Either way – try to develop a “cause and effect” cycle your pup/dog understands better. Also, leaving him on lead in the house – lead attached to a halti – when you are supervising – can be useful…

I’m going to try some of these ideas and I’ll report back. SJx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!