Logo

drjeff1

Puppies paws

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Good Evening.

We just had a new concrete patio poured on Thursday. On Friday the worker’s came back and while wetting down the patio they were letting my dog play with them by chasing the water from the hose on this patio.

By Friday afternoon the dog was limping and upon further examination I found the pads of her paws were slightly swollen and there were small abrasions as well. I’m assuming the Lime in the cement as well as the roughness of it did the damage. By Saturday afternoon the inflammation was increasing and there is a reddness between her toes.

I paged through my 2 homeopath books and tried using what I had in my home such as Vitamin E oil, or using Green or Black Tea. She licks everything off, and licks, and licks, and licks….until I tried socks on her feet, it lasted only for an hour or two. Today she is still limping and still licking, and I feel miserable for her.

Any suggestions as to a topical treatment, or how to get her to leave it on for it to take effect? Some people say the licking is her way of healing it, I think she’s just irratating it more. Could she have a chemical burn from the lime, how can I tell? Should I take her to a vet, or just wait and see?
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Jeanne]
    Any suggestions as to a topical treatment,[/quote]

Good morning Jeanne-

As far as topical treatment you can use warm water and epsom salt soaks. Submerge one foot at a time in the warm water and massage gently for 3-5 minutes. A dose of homeopathic Hypericum will also help with any nerve irritation that may be promoting the licking.

That being said, I would take her to your vet for examination if the redness or swelling is getting worse in a day or two or if she is acting systemically sick. Hopefully you have a holistic vet who will gently help her work through this symptom.

Good luck. Please keep us informed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!