Logo

drjeff1

Post Feline-PU Surgery Problems

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello everyone. I hope someone here can help me, because my vet is being pretty unresponsive.

After three blockages, my cat, Iggy, underwent a PU operation on May 19. He has been home since May 21, and was put on a homemade chicken broth fast and then a raw food diet. I’ve basically been following Dr. Pitcairn’s recipes–with some variation in terms of grain (brown rice instead of polenta).

He was incontinent for several days after the operation, but after the painkillers wore off, he was a good boy and began to use his litterbox again (whereas before, leading up to the blockages, he was always pretending both our couches and his chair were his litterbox). I’ve been keeping the box very clean.

He had his stitches out on Sunday and the vet said everything seemed to be fine.

However, Monday we noticed that he’d been um, defecating on one of our couches–even though his litterbox was being used as well, and then yesterday, he started acting like he was blocked again–ie. going into his litterbox, peeing just a little, then coming out and doing the same on the couch, then going back into his litterbox and trying again. This morning I noticed he had peed on our comforter (he sleeps with us) during the night–but unlike the others, it was a rather large amount. Also, I found a strange red, almost gummy, globule on the floor yesterday–that may or may not be attributable to Iggy, but we don’t know where else it could have come from.

Can he be blocked again? I have not been feeding him any “store bought” food at all since he got home. Has he decided he likes the attention he gets when he acts blocked? The vet STILL has not called me back about this problem…

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=SheRat]
    Can he be blocked again? I have not been feeding him any “store bought” food at all since he got home. Has he decided he likes the attention he gets when he acts blocked? The vet STILL has not called me back about this problem…[/quote]

Good morning.

Although it’s theoretically possible for him to reblock, it would be very unusual. Most blockages occur in the narrow part of the urethra in the penis, and since he doesn’t have one anymore…

PU surgery however does not change his predisposition to develop urinary symptoms. Urinary frequency, urgency, straining to urinate, blood in the urine, etc. can all still be seen.

It is this remaining underlying imbalance which is causing the present urinary symptoms. It is also likely causing him to not feel well and therefore defecate around the house.

Bring him back to the vet today to be checked out-just in case. I would also [b]strongly[/b] recommend consulting a veterinary homeopath to treat the underlying energetic imbalance. You can find a referral at: [url]http://www.theavh.org/referral/index.php[/url]

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!