Logo

drjeff1

Possible Kidney Failure / Dehydration

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Last week my cat was jumping up on the couch with me, cuddling in bed, bumping her nose into me while I was on the computer… But the last two days she has been virtually unresponsive to any human activity on her. She has vomited approximately 4 times in the last two nights, and has been extremely lethargic (will not react to touch).. I read up on this on the WWW, and found out she had symptoms of dehydration. My cat hasn’t sipped an ounce of water from her dish in over 24 hours (I even moved a new water dish upstairs because she seemed weak). We took her to the vet and ran up a hefty bill of running tests on her, etc. We finally decided to wait off on a few tests that seemed “optional” and “not necessarily directly related to her illness” for monetary reasons. We were given an antibiotic to bring home in a “dropper” form, which we need to use a dropper to drop a certain amount of white liquid into her mouth twice daily. Before we gave her this medicine (as well, the vet injected water-like liquid under her skin), she was 100%, completely unresponsive to human touch and would not move a slight bit. Now she is semi-responsive and is wagging her tail/moving and shifting somewhat more. I was wondering if anybody knew how long it would be approximately before we can see our old cat back, instead of the lazy and sick-looking one she is today.

Thanks very much,
    Wally & My Cat, Pumpkin

[b][i]These are some questions I answered on another vet forum, but am hoping you users can come up with some more help and such:[/i][/b]

How old is your cat? Honestly, we don’t know. She walked up to our house last winter and never left. We kept her in since we simply couldn’t find her real owner.

Is she a strictly indoor or indoor/outdoor cat? Mostly indoor, on occasion will go outside (rarely)

What kind of diet are you feeding? Mostly Whiskas normal flavor catfood and water.

Was your cat eating normally when the illness started or did she stop eating as well? She was eating normally, yes. But from one day to the next she was a total wreck and will not eat anything. We had to force hydration fluid into her last night.

What kind of tests did the vet run? They ran “Fiv” and “Felv” tests to check for a “feline” form of HIV, which came back negative. They did run a few more tests such as a hydration test on her skin and a few others they never told us about.

For bloodwork did the vet do a complete chemistry profile and CBC? If so, do you have the results? We had the cat’s blood drawn, but only for the Felv and Fiv checks. The CBC and chemistry profile was about $700 so that’s one of the things they reccomended we try somewhere else today (since the vet we went to was a much more expensive 24/7 facility).

Did the vet check for any infectious diseases? They checked for signs of infectious diseases in her blood, however they said they couldn’t find anything. We were told it was most likely a fever combined with dehydration. Her temperature was about 104.5 (we were told 101-102 was normal for a cat).

Did the vet take any X-rays? No X-rays were taken. We were considering taking one but the vet told us to hold off, as the problem seemed to be simply a dehydration/fever combo. We were also told we should get a second opinion from another vet, which we will definately do today.

What was the diagnosis the vet gave you? A fever/dehydration combination with the possibility of an ear infection.

What is the medicine you are giving? The medicine we put into her mouth to hydrate her is called either “Clavamix” or “Clavamox”. I can’t fully tell, since the “i” or “o” is a deformed water drop as a logo. The scientific name is “Amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium”. I’m guessing it’s Clavamox, sine the “Amoxicillin”. Directions were to give 1mL doses twice daily through her mouth for 14 days.

Does your cat have kidney disease, liver disease or diabetes? Our cat has none of these three.

Does your cat have loose stools or diarrhea? Our cat has normal bowel movements as of late, but she hasn’t really “gone” in about 2 days due to her weakness to move.

Have you noticed any vomiting on a regualr basis? Yes, she has been vomiting about two times a day for the last two days, that I’ve seen.

Did the vet do a thorough oral exam to check for gum and dental disease (which in turn can cause serious illness including liver, kidney and heart disease)? I am not sure. The cat was in the back room for about 3 hours while the vet looked at her. My mother was there and did most of the talking, however she is not home right now to give me an answer on that. My guess is that they did check the mouth for infections.

Did the vet thoroughly examine the ears? I am not sure. We told the vet the ears smelled a little bit, but we didn’t remember to ask again later on. We were caught up with the decision to give the cat a second chance or put her to sleep. We definately did not want to put her to sleep, so we chose giving her a second chance. She is and has been such a great pet.. We can’t just let her die without a fight.

Also, today I woke up and she was off of the couch in my bedroom (where we put her to sleep, since it’s where she originally chose to go before we realized she was sick). My family looked all around our house for her, and I feared she had crawled into a small hiding spot to pass away. We found her under my moms dresser sitting near death. She is moving and breathing a little bit, but she will not respond to petting at all. I am not sure if there’s no hope at this point and whether I should let her die in peace where she is, or to force her to the vet again from her current position. What would you reccomend as the best step to help the cat?

Also:

My cat just got out from under my mom’s dresser and came into my room again. I moved her blanket from the couch to the floor and she quickly laid down on it. I moved her feeding dishes next to her.. Obviously this is a good sign that she isn’t ready to die alone.. What would this really mean though? Not sure if anyone else has had something similar happen.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Wally]I was wondering if anybody knew how long it would be approximately before we can see our old cat back, instead of the lazy and sick-looking one she is today.[/quote]

Hi Wally-

I’m sorry to give such a quick reply, but it really depends on the diagnosis. It would be nice to see some baseline blood results (which at the most will cost ~$100-150 not $700). Dehydration is usually due to an underlying pathologic process, e.g. kidney disease, recurrent vomiting, etc.

A vet homeopath *might* be able to help you without more diagnostic info but we would still need more characteristic data.

In the meantime you may want to see how she responds to some human chicken or beef baby food which you hand feed (just 1 teaspoon full to start).

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!