Logo

drjeff1

Please Help…I have a baby kitten with an eye injury

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems Please Help…I have a baby kitten with an eye injury

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I recently found a wild mother cat in my storage building. She had 3 small kittens that I am assuming were no more than a week old. I have brought her into the house along with the kittens. They are now approx. 3 to 4 weeks old. One of the kittens has an eye injury. I believe that this happened while nursing and was from one of the other kittens. It has been several days since this happened and I think that it is now infected as it is swollen shut and has lots of pus coming out. There is a visible hole in the eyelid. I need to know if there is anything that I can possibly do for this kitten. I honestly cannot afford to take it to a vet. I was recently in a car crash myself and have a broken femur and no one here to help me with things. I cannot stand to see if suffer and I am afraid without care it will lose the eye. I would also like to add that it does not seem to be in pain and is feeding normally. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ginam] it is swollen shut and has lots of pus coming out. There is a visible hole in the eyelid. I need to know if there is anything that I can possibly do for this kitten. [/quote]

An eye problem like this warrants immediate veterinary care. The eye may indeed have been injured or these symptoms may be from a Herpes (or other) eye infection. Frequent hot compresses and the amino acid l-lysine daily might help if that is the case.

Only a vet exam can tell for sure and a routine exam really isn’t that expensive. If you can’t afford *any* care then this document might help:
    [url]http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/what_you_can_do_if_you_are_having_trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html[/url]

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thanks so much for the quick response. However , upon further inspection , I have noticed that where the hole in the eyelid is , there appears to be a small worm……..I did some research and I believe that it is an eyeworm. I don’t know if there is anything I can do for it myself but I am looking.
    Thanks again!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ginam] I believe that it is an eyeworm. I don’t know if there is anything I can do for it myself[/quote]

Yech!! Here’s some more info:

Nemadode of the Eye
    Thelazia (Eye Worm) Infection
    Etiology – Thelazia spp., are small (up to 19 mm long), white nematodes found associated with the eye of dogs, cats and other animals. They are found in the conjunctival sac, under eyelids and the nictitating membrane. As many as 100 may be present and they can be seen moving rapidly across the eye.
    Occurrence – Thelazia californiensis infects dogs and cats in North America; T. callipaeda infects dogs in Asia.
    Life Cycle – Eggs containing larvae are laid by females. The intermediate hosts are the so-called filth flies including Musca spp. The fly ingests first stage larvae while feeding on lachrymal secretions. Larvae develop to third stage and move to the mouthparts of the fly from which they infect the eye while feeding on ocular secretions.
    Clinical Features – Signs include conjunctivitis, excessive lachrymation, photophobia, keratitis and in the absence of treatment corneal opacity and ulceration.
    Diagnosis – Worms can be seen in the eye with the naked eye. Finding eggs and larvae in ocular secretions.
    Treatment and Control –
    Removal of worms under local anesthesia. Application of ocular preparations containing levamisole or morantel or administration of the former orally or parenterally.
    Fly control with insecticides if feasible.

Anonymous

please get this poor kitty to the vet for treatment. even try the humane society if you have to. but this kitten needs professional help here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!