Logo

drjeff1

Please Clarify Thoughts About Spaying/Neutering

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi Dr. Jeff– your response to Pilar seemed to indicate a preference for delayed spaying and neutering, but in an earlier post (three years ago on the second page of the surgical procedures forum) you come down unambiguously for “early” spaying (which I take to mean the usual 6 months).

I have a 7 month small mini/large toy poodle and would like to get her spayed. After reading your latest post, my husband cancelled the surgery that was set for today. I’ve read a lot of things, but none of them take into consideration the risks associated with unplanned pregnancy (a dog we adopted when I was a child got pregnant accidentally during her first heat).

As a small dog, I know Sophie will mature sooner than larger dogs. Her growth has slowed to an almost imperceptible rate and I think she will have her first heat soon. On balance, what do you recommend– waiting till after the first heat or getting it done before if possible? I know there are pros and cons to both. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=sophiesmom]On balance, what do you recommend– waiting till after the first heat or getting it done before if possible? I know there are pros and cons to both.[/quote]

Thanks for your careful reading of this thread. You’re right. Research has shown over the past few years that early spay/neuter is not without problems (primarily increased risk of certain cancers).

Currently I evaluate every situation individually taking into account all of the info and circumstances. From what little I know about your situation, I think spaying at any time will be OK.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Surgical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!