Logo

drjeff1

Paw gnawing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi-

I was hoping to maybe get some answers to a problem that has been bothering my dog, Sneakers, for quite some time. Sneakers is a 13yr. old retriever, shepard mix. In the past, I’d say 2-3 yrs he has started to gnaw on his back leg. He gnaws to the point where it gets red and raw and he can barely stand on it. This seems to flare up because there will be times that he will chew, but at times he’s more excessive than others. He seems to be in some sort of distress after biting it to this point because he pants heavily. We have taken him to the vet for this and they say that it is a nervous, stressful habit. He does have some arthritis and is on medication for it. We have tried many things to try to stop the biting from wrapping his leg, to Benadryl, to topical creams. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to stop this nervous habit. I have heard other suggestions such as the bitter apple spray and Anbesol, but I wasn’t sure if that was really safe to put on an open wound. I guess I am really asking if there is anything that I could do to calm his nerves and OCD-like behavior, and if I can’t what is a good approach to at least hinder him somewhat from chewing his leg raw.
    Thanks!

Anonymous

We have the same thing with our Sheltie. Have you gotten any answers?
    [email][email protected][/email]

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=sneakers14] if there is anything that I could do to calm his nerves and OCD-like behavior,[/quote]

I agree that these physical symptoms (the chewing) may be a manifestation of a deep-rooted emotional imbalance (like OCD in people). Alternatively there may actually be a physical sensation (which of course he can’t verbally tell you about) causing the chewing. You can palliate the symptom with calming and soothing sprays or topicals like [url]https://www.homevet.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=96&osCsid=86d0fe5acdd8ad3e430c958d4cf2db25[/url] .

Personally I would also strongly advise seeking homeopathic treatment to get to the root of the problem.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!