Logo

drjeff1

painful tucked tail

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My energetic black lab has had some anxiety issues over the last couple of days and today I thought it was more of the same—panting and a fearful posture. She then began dropping suddenly to lick at her tail which I thought at first to be a sudden itch. She increased the frequency of this behavior over the course of the day but still energetically wagged her tail this afternoon. Tonight when I arrived home her tail was firmly tucked, she was panting and yelped when I tried to check for damage, ticks, etc. (I found none) I am baffled. I gave her some pain reliever and she is resting calmly now 11:00pm. What do you make of it? Any ideas?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Lvander]Tonight when I arrived home her tail was firmly tucked, she was panting and yelped when I tried to check for damage, ticks, etc. (I found none) [/quote]

Good morning-

From a conventional (reductionistic) point of view this is strictly a problem with the tail. It is most commonly caused by a nerve/muscle disorder. Etiology is often traumatic (overwork, cramp) or inflammatory. Metabolic and infiltrative disorders also may need to be ruled out. Tincture of time (letting it rest) is a typical initial prescription.

Holistically however this tail problem is just the most recent manifestation of a whole body imbalance. The mental symptoms (anxiety) are another example of how her body is trying to externally manifest its’ internal imbalance. Other physical symptoms, e.g. tendency to loose bowels or constipation, scooting, ear infections, allergies, etc. would be other manifestations (see [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/common.html[/url] for more info on this).

My best advice is to see your local vet in the next day or two if this symptom persists. You should also *strongly* consider working with a well-trained, experienced vet homeopath to help normalize the internal energetic imbalance. Go to [url]http://www.theavh.org[/url] if you need a referral (look for practitioner’s with >75% cases being homeopathic and preferably certified by the AVH).

Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!