Logo

drjeff1

Older dog with fatty tumors

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: First, thank you for answering my first question on arthritis. Now, for one more inquiry. My old fellow has what the vet calls fatty tumors. Do you know what causes these? Is there anything to reduce them? I am concerned because I also have a 6 month old lab and would like to prevent these from happening to her, too. Thank you for any assistance you can provide. Jill

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: labrador retreiver

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Fatty tumors, or lipomas, are a very common age-related manifestation. They are not serious, and usually should not be removed unless they are causing a physical problem due to their location, or if they are rapidly growing or changing (and are not improving i response to the homeopathic remedy). In Western medicine there is no good explanation for why these (or other) tumors grow. In Eastern medicine however, they are considered an area of “entangled Qi” due to improper flow of energy through the channels. There are Chinese and Western herbs for straightening out this energy flow problem.

Anonymous

One thing of which we can be sure is that nothing happens with the body unless it is somehow “necessary” to the body’s function. I would regard these, as I do any skin manifestation or tumor forming, as a release mechanism for disease energy – a vital part of the healing response to deep-seated dysfunction. So they are a good thing – and also less likely to form if insults are addressed in a timely fashion through systemic homeopathy when the animal is young. Things of this nature can happen even in young dogs, but generally “clean” husbandry, with appropriate food and freedom from medical insult will also minimize these disease expressions. They are, however, benign, harmless, and actually beneficial to the animal. I wouldn’t remove them unless all avenues of cure have been employed, and chronic disease symptoms mitigated, and/or they are really in the way of lifestyle, getting banged up or bothered. In other words, what Dr. Jeff said.

ginny

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Surgical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!