Logo

drjeff1

Nutrition for my dog with seizures

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: Butch has had seizure. Was seen by neurologist at Mich. State as he had vision problems. Vet said it is epilepsy, either born with or from trauma. A complete blood work up is being done as well as phenobarb levels. Opthamologist said eyes are okay but he did show problems in dim light. Maybe early retinal degereation; he will be rechecked in 6 months.

Could he have a dietary need causing vision problems? What food or vitamins would help? He has recently started eating poop even when treated with meat tenderizer, now trying pineapple. He and the other greys get Diamond lamb and rice with yogart in the AM and 1/4can of meat with veggies added in the evening.

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Greyhound

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

My main concern would be a correlation between the vision disorder, and the seizures. While he is being treated by the neurologist, and properly worked up, you can try some supplementation to help with his problems. Dimethylglycine, taurine,Vitamin A, Vitamin C, euphrasia and other natural supplements have been shown to help with both seizures and vision problems. In addition, certain Traditional Chinese herbs may help his neurological status. My main dietary recommendation is to use the highest quality diet without preservatives possible. Read the ingredients of the food you feed. If grains and byproducts are the main ingredients, you should consider switching. For more diet information read “The Importance of Diet” handout and the pet food articles on this site.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!