Logo

drjeff1

Not sure what’s wrong with Cat

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a 5 or 6 year old DSH male, neutered cat. Sweet as can be. He’s never been any trouble until recently.

He’s started vomitting regularly. Usually right after I get home, he’ll run to the food bowl and eat quickly, small amounts, then vomit. Not to be too graphic, but it’s never bile. It’s always food, in chunks. I notice that little if any food is eaten while I’m at work during the day. There is no vomit anywhere when I get home…only after.

I took him to the vet and he gave me Reglan and an antibiotic to try out. So far (48 hours later), he’s still vomitting as soon as I get home. Smaller amounts, but none the less, still vomitting.

I started to wonder about Separation Anxiety.

Whenever I leave, he gets a little (what I consider) sad, sulks away to my room and that’s that. When I get home, he’s at the door waiting for me. If it’s my roommate, he sulks back to my room and waits for more footsteps. If I leave my room for the kitchen and close my door, he starts to meow and stick his paw under the door as if to get out. He chases me around the house, especially back to my room, as if it’s a race most of the time. He is, without fail, under foot if I’m in my room walking around.

Whenever I take a shower, he finds a way to get the bathroom door open, and waits, wailing outside the shower curtain for me to come out. It’s gotten to the point where I actually have to peer out to let him know I’m ok and he’ll just wait on the bathmat for me. He bites at the shower curtain, I’m not sure why, maybe a taste he likes?

He’s no bed hog by any means, but he does like to be close to me. He usually sleeps on the crutch of my arms. My other cat always sleeps at the foot of the bed, so this hasn’t been a problem.

There’s ALWAYS been another cat with me, and they get along tremendously well. Almost like a newleywed couple.

Recently (4 months or so now) my roommate brought a 3rd, obviously alpha male cat who looks EXACTLY like my cat down to the weight and structure, into the house. Her cat does not like my cat (or so it appears). My cat being passive will sleep on the floor and her cat will walk up, whack him one good, walk away and that’s that. He’ll come back later, bite his hind legs and my cat will sit with a look of “what the heck?” on his face then plop back down to sleep.

We keep them separated, but it doesn’t seem to cure the vomitting.

My cat has lost 4 pounds over a 9 months period. This could be because of the diet food I have him on (at 19 pounds, he needed it) or it could be attributed to stress/anxiety.

My concern is with the vet I’m seeing pushing and pushing that this is kidney failure. My gut tells me it’s not. I’ve read about kidney and liver failure in cats, and I’ve had a prior kitty who had liver problems, and it just doesn’t add up. The vet is relentless in “Get blood tests, Get X-Rays, He’s got kidney failure, he’s eaten something that’s blocking his digestive track”.

I’m willing to see another vet, and have, but I’m having bad luck finding one that’s honest over money hungry. I’m not an owner that would deny my pet medical care, but I just don’t trust the two vets I’ve seen.

I’m looking for a bit more insight. I understand that a diagnosis is impossible via the computer, so I guess if anyone can help, even refer me to a vet in the San Diego area that won’t just try to get my money from me, but actually wants to hear owner and cat out, I’d REALLY appreciate it!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Silver]but actually wants to hear owner and cat out, I’d REALLY appreciate it![/quote]

I agree that this is probably a functional (rather than structural problem) and that workup may very well be fruitless. That being said, as a diagnostically-minded vet (my early training was in veterinary internal medicine and endocrinology) I always like to have as much data as possible before making specific recommendations.

In your case some baseline workup would be nice. Whether or not you go for it though, you need to consult a homeopathically trained veterinarian. After a long (1-2 hour) interview process the veterinary homeopath will advise you about the use of individualized homeopathic remedies, lifestyle modifications and how to upgrade your cat’s diet. I know that most of your cat’s symptoms will improve and/or resolve.

In the meantime, you can use Rescue Remedy when you leave and return home to help with any kitty anxiety. You also need to schedule at least one hour of play daily, preferably as a reward for when you return home (before feeding). Read this info for tips on playing with your cat
    [url]http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/catplay.pdf[/url].

Good luck and let me know if you need help finding a veterinary homeopath.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I understand what you’re going through. My son’s cat, Jane, is very attached to him and mopes about the house when he’s away on camping trips and at work.

To aliviate the vomiting she experience when he left the house, Ben started feeding her as soon as he got up in the morning. Since he is an evening showerer, he is able to be in the bedroom with her while she ate and he got dressed, he is also able to sit with her and watch some TV before leaving for school inthe morning. It gives them some morning quality time. He leaves the radio or TV on in his room so she has company and when he comes home from school, he spends about a half hour with her before starting homework. It gives him some down time too and they have good quality time. He give s her no treats or food at this time.

Since we feed fresh in our home, Janey eats with us at dinner time. Yes I know, feeding her from his plate is probably not a good hygenic idea, but she’s so cute and he loves her to distraction. She sits on the back of his chair and he gives her food from his plate. It’s cute to watch. She gets more food in her room later while he’s watching TV or finishing his homework.

I have found that changing her eating times and giving more quality time helped, as Dr. Jeff said, with her anxiety and digestion. It took a while to see the changes, but they are for the better and it makes for a much more pleasant living arrangment.

Good luck[i][/i]

Anonymous

My cat does that when she eats to fast & she’ll only throw up were we will see it imediately. our vet said that there is nothing we can do but feed her smaller portions. the reason she throws up in a visable place because its her way of letting us know shes sick. Also my mom had that seperation problem with two different cats (niether cat lived with her at the same time) one of the cats we had to get a “friend” for we took our cat to the shelter and they helped us find a cat that ours got along with. the other cat was easier it was fine with a cat jungle gym and us leaving the tv on for it the vet said it was the sound of people that helped. hope this helps.

Angel 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!