Logo

drjeff1

new puppy has diarrhea

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

This question is actually for my mom, since I have posted questions here before and she’s new to this message board thing!
    My mom bought a 7 week old chocolate lab about 3 weeks ago. She had her first vet appointment last week and Sophie’s a healthy pup (no worms etc). When they first got her, the breeder had her on a Purina diet, but I soon talked my mom into switching to something healthier and she now uses what I use, Natural Balance. She switched the food slowly over time as recommened and she’s eating and drinking fine. The issue at hand is diarrhea and/or loose stool and seems to have frequent bowel movements. This was happening before the food switch and is continuing to happen still. Could it be a reaction/allergy to the food, nervous from being taken away from mom and siblings, scared from being left alone all day in a crate? And ideas and thoughts on how to help Sophie?
    Ashly Burmeister

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ashlyburmeister] The issue at hand is diarrhea and/or loose stool and seems to have frequent bowel movements. This was happening before the food switch and is continuing to happen still. Could it be a reaction/allergy to the food,[/quote]

Congratulations on mom’s new pup! An allergic food reaction would be very unlikely at this age especially since the diarrhea was already manifesting before the diet switch.

Has mom tried feeding fresh food in lieu of commercial dog food? If so, does the stool improve? Many dogs that develop stool problems while on commercial (*especially* dry) food will improve when on fresh food, e.g. white meat chicken and rice/oatmeal.

The answer is a fresh food diet and homeopathic treatment to allow the pup to tolerate any food (as all dogs should be able to eat a varied diet without overt diarrhea).

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

About a week after I posted this question, mom noticed a few pockets of blood in Sophie’s stool. The vet put Sophie on a dewormer, even though her previous checkup showed no signs of worms. Not sure if it’s helping at this point. I think the diarrhea is still occuring. Could an intestinal parasite be causing the diarrhea and bloody stool? Would the dewormer rid a possible parasite?

Anonymous

Exactly how much food are you feeding this puppy each feeding and how many feeding is it getting a day. You must measure with a measuring cup. I would start with 1/2 cup twice a day.

It could be that it is being over fed and that will cause loose / diarrhea stools. Could also be that the food is way to rich for this pup.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!