Logo

drjeff1

New Male Puppy & Old Female Cat

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Scott 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, I am knew to this forum and I hope someone could give me some advice. I am getting a new lab puppy in several weeks (he will be 7 weeks old) and I have a 13 year old cat that has free run of the house although she spends alot of time outdoors. I have been reading as much as I can get my hands on about training my new puppy but I am concerned on the best way to handle this puppy/cat situation. The cat hisses at other dogs if she comes into contact with them and she has all her claws. I’m afraid the puppy could get hurt. What is the best way to handle this new relationship? Thanks for any help!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Kathy] What is the best way to handle this new relationship? [/quote]

Hi Kathy-

Actually, cats accept new pups/dogs much better than they do with other cats.

Just expose them to each other slowly. Don’t restrain your cat, but hold your pup in your arms and let them sniff each other. If your cat wants to run away, don’t deter her.

If they don’t become fast friends then post any issues here. There is also a pertinent info center document that will give more details.

Good luck, and enjoy your new pup (who you will be holistically raising I hope?)!!

Anonymous

I would crate the cat and let the pup sniff and smell the cat in the crate. several time a day if needed. Let the cat hiss all it wants, it won’t get hurt in the crate. I would not give your pup free run of the house at this age. Your pup should learn to be crate trained for potty training and so much more. While using a crate for the dog let the cat explore the dog. Always keep the pup on a leash of some kind or puppy cable tie out in the house, when the cat is around. Over time, the cat could accept the dog just fine but you will need to keep the pup from hurting the cat even while playing with it. The cat will take care of it’s self you just monitor.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

I really could use some help here. My husband and I adopted an 8 week old Heeler mix, Molly, about 7 weeks ago and she is not timid at all. I already had 2 adult cat who we have had from kittens and run the house. The cats and I used to live with another dog and they all got along fine. No problems at all so the cats were ok with this new animal at first. A little timid but they didn’t run and hide.
    The problem is Molly really wants the cats. I don’t think it’s agression just plain puppy playfulness. I think she just wants to play with them and wrestle, which they don’t like. But she is bigger and stronger and I ‘m growing more concerned for the cats everyday.
    She’s obsessed with these cats. She looks for them and whines at them when they get up places where she can’t go and then barks, which is annoying to all of us. I can’t seem to figure out what to do to get her to stop wanting the cats all the time.
    It is becoming really aggrivating and imparing the potty training because she is too distracted.
    Can someone help me PLEASE?

_____
    Thank you very much,
    Maggie
    [email][email protected][/email]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!