Logo

drjeff1

Need Emergency help

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

🙁 🙁 Today I came home from a 2week vacation and found a 3 month old kitten in my barn that a neighbor thought was mine. It was very scared but friendly. I spent some time calming it down and trying to reassure it that I would take good care of him. An hour later I went to check on him and he was freaking out! I’m pretty sure he swallowed a yellowjacket bee. I had just sprayed a few I found in the barn. One had stung me on the ear. The kitten was terrified, running around and into things. I finally caught him wearing gloves or he would have bitten me. I isolated him and tried to calm him down. He was foaming at the mouth and had straw hanging out of his mouth. He wouldn’t eat or drink. Just kept crying. I tried for hours to find infomation on the internet on getting emergency information of what to do. this was the only site I could find,but the response was too late. When I went to check on my little one around 9pm he was dead. I suspect the sting made his tounge and throat swell and eventually he couldn’t get any air. We live way out in the country and there is no animal hospitals open on Sundays.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GO TO GET EMERGENCY VET INFORMATION IN CASE THIS SITUATION EVER HAPPENS AGAIN?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Debra]:( 🙁 DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GO TO GET EMERGENCY VET INFORMATION IN CASE THIS SITUATION EVER HAPPENS AGAIN?[/quote]

I’m so sorry for the loss of your kitten and this horrible experience. Most of the time a bee bite in the mouth doesn’t cause death (though the symptoms you saw of frantic behavior and salivation are common ones).

Unfortunately there is little that you can find on the internet that can resolve an emergency problem like this. There are 24 hour veterinary emergency centers all over the country (and yes I realize that the closest one may be hours away).

In addition I would urge you to learn as much emergency veterinary first aid as possible. That way you can assess the situation and intervene when necessary. Incorporating homeopathy into your first aid treatment will make it even more effective, e.g. ledum or lachesis for bee stings . Take a look at [url]http://www.simillimum.com/FirstAid.html[/url] for some great info. on this topic.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!