Logo

drjeff1

Need Diet for Dog w/Heart Condtion

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My beagle/pointer has developed a severe murmur (she is currently symptom and medication free) and I’ve had her on a weight loss diet. She lost weight but is hungry — more so than is normal. In fact she has started to seriously go hunting in our back yard. She doesn’t just go out at night — she hunts and in the last few days has caught and killed a young skunk and something that she apparently completely consumed as she came in dripping blood but we could not find the source. We live in the city and our yard is completely fenced so I don’t even know how anything got in.

Shortly before she started the hunting behavior she was switched from Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice to Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice. We wanted a better quality of food and I don’t know that it has any relevance in her behavior. I was also feeding some chicken broth and a bit of cooked chicken, but not much. I stopped that in order to cut more calories. She is getting 1/2 cup of kibble morning and night mixed with 1/2 cup of mixed veggies for bulk. She gets a vitamin every day as well. She has lost weight on this diet, but is obviously not satisfied.

I don’t know if I should start adding the chicken again. I have been feeding her the 1/2 cup of Blue Buffalo along with at least 1/4 cup of cooked chicken for the last two days, but have seen no change in the almost desperate hunting behavior.

I have been thinking about switching her to a raw type of diet with the idea that the work of chewing chicken leg bones and backs might satisfy her more. But the more I research the more confused I get. The prey model people pretty much horrified me (I rescue pets I don’t feed them to my dogs) and I can’t find much in the way of real scientific research on BARF or raw diets.

My vet is not in favor of raw because he said there is no good research backing up if it is truly a good thing or not and has concerns about contamination from raw meat. Cassie is hungry and unhappy and I’m confused.

Peace,
    Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!