Logo
“Educating and Empowering"
With Holistic Actions! and home-opathy
Home is where healing happens best.
The original HomeVet© Since 1987
join

drjeff1

Natural Flea Treatments

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

There are two great artcles (in pdf format) in the information center which really covers this topic well. They are:

[url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/fleacontrol.pdf[/url]
    [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/fleachemfin.pdf[/url] [url]

In addition, I always recommend Chip Saymon’s little book about natural flea control to all of my clients. It covers the topic better than anything I’ve ever read.[/url]

Anonymous

I use lavender oil, cedarwood oil, neem oil and olive oil for a flea and tick treatment.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=luv4gsd]I use lavender oil, cedarwood oil, neem oil and olive oil for a flea and tick treatment.[/quote]

Does it work well for you? Would you share the recipe?

Anonymous

It works on my five dogs (4 GSD & 1 mini Dachshund).

The recipe

10 drops of Cedarwood oil
    6 drops of Lavender oil
    1/2 tablesppon of Neem oil (pure Neem oil)
    1 tablespoon of Olive oil

Add it all to 1 pint of water and put it in a spray bottle.

You can also add 1 tablespoon of Neem oil to your dogs shampoo to make a flea shampoo.

Neem oil has a smell

*Do not put this on a cat. Cats do not efficiently metabolize essential oils and their use can lead to symptoms of toxicity.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=luv4gsd]

Neem oil has a smell
    [/quote]

It sure does!! I bet that a pure Neem spray diluted as you described would do the same job (Neem is a very effective bug repellant). Of course the essential oils are necessary to cover up the offensive smell!

Anonymous

[QUOTE=luv4gsd]It works on my five dogs (4 GSD & 1 mini Dachshund).
    [QUOTE]

Hi, newbie here trying to switch to natural flea prevention from advantage….How often and how much would you spray your mini with this solution?

thx

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=batman]How often and how much would you spray your mini with this solution?
    [/quote]

Anytime there is likely to be exposure, e.g. before a walk in the woods.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

My dog has had a rather bad flea infestation- I applied Advantage on him in July (which I didn’t like doing) and it seemed to have little effect. He had baths. I used D Earth, I used Wondercide (a great product) I combed- vet gave me Comfortis to give him today (which I really didn’t like)- I will only use it this once (given with a full meal) to (hopefully) get a leg up on the infestation (plus vacuuming/applying Borax) but I don’t like the idea of anything like that, much less a pill- he seems fine though. He was chewing his legs and getting fur stuck on his teeth and getting another mouth infection. Vicious cycle. So now he’s on antibiotics too (shaking my head)

I guess the best way to really get on top of it- is treat the rugs/floor BEFORE flea season and use the natural stuff on him then too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Fleas, Ticks and other Parasites’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!