Logo

drjeff1

My poor (sick?) chihuahua

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

A few weeks ago my 1 1/2yr. old male chihuahua started having problems “pooing”. He squats and pushes and nothing comes out but the faint sound of air. After rubbing his bum on the carpet he’ll try again and then a bit of this jelly, mucous-y looking stuff comes out and he’s done. He doesn’t appear to be in pain. Actually he’s his usual self. I add that he also has regular bowel movements at least once a day. I know this sounds a bit gross, but has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any advice? Any would be appreciated…… thanks!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=5chisandagurl]He squats and pushes and nothing comes out but the faint sound of air. After rubbing his bum on the carpet he’ll try again and then a bit of this jelly, mucous-y looking stuff comes out ![/quote]

Clinically this sounds like a “colitis” (which is merely a descriptive term for the symptom complex and is not an actual diagnosis). What do you feed? Low quality processed commercial food is often implicated.

These symptoms are very common and I see them in my patients all of the time (occasionally even in those eating a fresh food diet). Homeopathic treatment and correct diet should resolve the underlying process quickly at this point. The longer you wait and the more you palliate the symptoms, the harder true resolution will be and recurrent problems may result.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

WOW!
    My dogs eat Nutro Natural Choice, in lamb and rice for allergies, and the one for overweight dogs…. The friend who recommended this brand said it was highly recommended by her vet as being a “better quality ” dog food that wasn’t full of fillers and such!….. Anyway, is there a natural alternative for the treatment of my chihuahua, or do I need to schedule and appointment with a vet right away? I would like to go the least “invasive” route, if thats at all possible.
    thank you for your your help.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=5chisandagurl] is there a natural alternative for the treatment of my chihuahua,[/quote]

There definitely is a natural treatment. It entails diet upgrade (no kibble) and other holistic and homeopathic treatment. Although you can learn a lot about how to do this at this site and through other sources, you may want to consult a holistic (preferably homeopathically-trained) vet for more help.

Good luck!

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I took my poor Einstein off dog food and have all five on an everything i eat diet…. veggies fruit meat chicken fish>. They all love it and have never been happier! thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!